• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recommendations for Deep sea fishing charters & hog hunting operations

Newhunter1

SH Member
Good morning everyone,

My wife and I pulled the trigger on a VRBO house in Ocean Springs, MS. I live in Illinois but I try and deep sea fish any chance I get. The home we rented is on a private beach (which I love).

My request: My two sons and I would love to go out on an 8-12 hour fishing trip. Ok...so my wife is allergic to freshwater fish and since we live in Illinois..well freshwater is all we have. Our target fish is what she absolutely loves. Any Grouper or snapper is what she loves the most...along with mahi-mahi, king fish and mackeral. Any of those caught in abundance so we can fillet and bring back to Illinois would be fantastic.

As far as hog hunts go...I've only killed 4 wild hogs. All in Oklahoma and Arkansas though. Looking for an outfitter that has reasonable prices for one to three hunters. Honestly, I just don't know if I'll have room in the cooler if I get a bunch of fish and then 1-2 hogs. However that is something that I'll address when that time comes.

If you want to drive from your VRBO to south Louisiana I can link you up with charter captains that are personal friends. I can’t tell you how good they are at their jobs, but when we go fishing together it’s always makin groceries.

Also, you’re going to spend way more on fishing than you will on filets at the store. Lots of places to get fresh fish within a few hours of your second home.

If you want to drive from your VRBO to south Louisiana I can link you up with charter captains that are personal friends. I can’t tell you how good they are at their jobs, but when we go fishing together it’s always makin groceries.

Also, you’re going to spend way more on fishing than you will on filets at the store. Lots of places to get fresh fish within a few hours of your second home.

Oh I know, but I'm paying for the experience...If I just want mahi-mahi fillet I would just go to walmart and get some. It would cost me about 15-17.00 for two portions. Just the VRBO is 300 times more than one portion. Plus, my intentions is when I'm not on the ocean in a boat fishing...I will be on land fishing. Every time I've been on the ocean to grab fish for the wife, I've been able to grab almost 100#'s of fillets and whole fish. Can you PM the numbers to the south Lousiana charter captains?

Back