• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recommendations For Mobile Hang On Hunting

BoTheHunter

Im looking to get a budget setup for mobile hunting. Im looking for a cheap hang on and a cheap set of sticks. If you have any recommendations please leave them.

If you're actually looking into a 'hang on' saddle the cheapest route is a sitDrag ( @DanO sells them https://doublesteps.com/product/sitdrag/ ), that you can DIY with a friction hitch and some rope around 8 - 11mm for a tether and linesman and your good to go. I'd suggest using a Rock climbing harness as a back up, though I quit using mine for comfort reasons (NOT recommended).

If you're actually looking into a 'hang on' saddle the cheapest route is a sitDrag ( @DanO sells them https://doublesteps.com/product/sitdrag/ ), that you can DIY with a friction hitch and some rope around 8 - 11mm for a tether and linesman and your good to go. I'd suggest using a Rock climbing harness as a back up, though I quit using mine for comfort reasons (NOT recommended).
Ok thx i thought about it but by hang on im referring to a hang on stand.

If you're wanting to stick with an actual stand I'd recommend a climber. if you're dead set on a hang on I'd recommend any hang on that utilizes a hanging bracket. Makes it a lot easier to hang.

The LW Assault may be at top of scale but not cheap, should be able to find an API Alumn. bout $60, they are very good at about 8-10 pounds.

The LW Assault may be at top of scale but not cheap, should be able to find an API Alumn. bout $60, they are very good at about 8-10 pounds.

Can you provide a link to an 8-10 lb lockon stand that costs $60?
Maybe you meant 18-20 lbs?

There is an API Alumn on fb market place $50 and another Field Stream looks good $50.

I didn't even know API made an aluminum stand close to that weight.
All of the ones I see online are in the 18-21 lb range.

Do you have a link to the specs or actual name of this stand online? (nothing comes up in search for "API Alumn"

It has been my experience that lightweight and cheap do not go hand in hand... I've went cheap a large part if my life and have come to the conclusion that it is better to go without while saving for what I really want. Ground hunting is grossly underrated. Ground hunting makes you hone so many hunting skills that we sometime take for granted hanging 20' up.

Do you have a link to the specs or actual name of this stand online? (nothing comes up in search for "API Alumn"
1570030927722.png

A bunch of the older api models are really light!

Back