• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recommendations needed for a budget friendly saddle

Crazybaldarcher

I've read enough posts on here to know I want to try saddle hunting

Besides a RCH + sitdrag, what is your best budget friendly saddle?

Just the saddle
No platforms, alterations, or accessories need be included in the price

What kind of budget?
$200 or less

Recon or if you like diy buy some seat belt strapping and build your own then you can try several designs for that price! But the Recon is a good purchase also!

I’ll second recon but you have plenty of options in the classifieds. Good luck!

I have a H2 slingshot my only saddle to date and I have no desire to try any else

I have a H2 slingshot my only saddle to date and I have no desire to try any else
The slingshot looks like a modified sit drag

What do you like about it?

Recon or if you like diy buy some seat belt strapping and build your own then you can try several designs for that price! But the Recon is a good purchase also!

The recon looks like an ESS, am I wrong in this assumption?

I initially liked the price of it and I watch some YouTube reviews and it point me in this direction. I have limited experience in saddles but I found with the triad bridge I was able to adjust were it bites on the the bridge loops to change pressure from the bottom to the top of the saddle. Which makes it comfy (enough for me) to either sit, lean or basically stand for long periods of time for no adjustments. I have no other saddle experience before this season but I found this saddle more comfortable than most hang on and ladder stands I used

The slingshot looks like a modified sit drag

The recon looks like an ESS, am I wrong in this assumption?

Not wrong at all but the Recon is made in USA and the ESS is made in China plus alot of people have not had really good things to say about the ESS but I do not personally know but the Recon is awesome it is comfortable, lite, very adjustable and I don't get as much hip pinch from these types of saddles as opposed to the normal type saddles! Plus with the Recon you can wear it in and not even notice it is there so if you decide to hunt on the ground it will not matter that you have a saddle on!

I've read enough posts on here to know I want to try saddle hunting

Besides a RCH + sitdrag, what is your best budget friendly saddle?

Just the saddle
No platforms, alterations, or accessories need be included in the price

What kind of budget?
$200 or less

Do you know about fleece saddles with a RCH also?

I think your only commercial options under $200 are the Recon, H2, and the Latitude Classic. There are reviews of all of these on here if you do a little digging with the search function.

@raisins I don't know or have seen fleece saddles

Don't know if I'd use a fleece saddle down here in SW MO in the early season but late season that might be a great option

Don't know if I'd use a fleece saddle down here in SW MO in the early season but late season that might be a great option

Do a search here. There's a few monster threads. It's considered by some as the most comfortable option. I keep putting off building a proper one. You basically sit in a fleece hammock. From what I hear, it being pulled thin helps with the temperature. Some folks used other materials as well (ripstops) that are louder but not as hot. You might be able to use a mesh also. But the stretchiness of the fleece is what makes it comfortable.

Do a search here. There's a few monster threads. It's considered by some as the most comfortable option. I keep putting off building a proper one. You basically sit in a fleece hammock. From what I hear, it being pulled thin helps with the temperature. Some folks used other materials as well (ripstops) that are louder but not as hot. You might be able to use a mesh also. But the stretchiness of the fleece is what makes it comfortable.

Here you go. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-ultralight-saddle.2358/

Back