• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recommendations on a minimalist saddle?

Spartan

Looking for recommendations on a "working" saddle that would only be used to climb and hang presets, etc. Not for hunting or long sits. I don't like to work and sweat in the gear I am going to hunt with, and I'm looking to ditch the full body harness that I have been using to work for a few years now.

Minimalist as in I don't need any fancy bells or whistles and something packable and light weight and appropriately priced to reflect that. Not minimalist as in just two pieces of seat belt webbing. :wink:

Thanks for any recommendations.

i have a cheap petzl rock climbing harness that i attached lineman's loops to

that's what i use to climb to hang my trail cams 10 feet off the ground

unless you are one sticking and have to spend time sitting in it, then i think something like that would work pretty well

you can get one for less than fifty bucks

My 1st gen Method is my go to 'minimalist' saddle.

With a DIY Oplux rope belt I don't even know I'm wearing it around.

I have a wood hunting saddle I use in exactly the way you describe. Simple and elegant:

Looking for recommendations on a "working" saddle that would only be used to climb and hang presets, etc. Not for hunting or long sits. I don't like to work and sweat in the gear I am going to hunt with, and I'm looking to ditch the full body harness that I have been using to work for a few years now.

Minimalist as in I don't need any fancy bells or whistles and something packable and light weight and appropriately priced to reflect that. Not minimalist as in just two pieces of seat belt webbing. :wink:

Thanks for any recommendations.
I know a guy

TactiSaddle is minimalist too. But I still hunt out of mine so I agree I don’t use it for preseason work. If you’re not going to hunt just climb to do tree maintenance work for your potential saddle locations or put trail cameras up high with a stick, I use the EWO Battlebelt with the linesman loop mod you can get with it. Probably under a $100 for sure.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Going to give the Recon a try, but will also keep those others in mind.

Good call! I bought one and used it all last season and I love mine. I did some all day sits. You may decide you want to use it for more than just hanging presets when you get some experience with it. Good luck.

If you don't have a backup saddle, here is a chance to.

Just de-scent it after you've done all your work.

Why have a backup? Hunt in the rain? We change wet diapers on babies, right, lol.

I have the Wood Hunting Saddle Original that was recommended, and it does pack down small, it is quite light, but is also a big enough single panel to be comfortable with all the different hunting styles: platforms, ropes, ros, etc. Though you might like it enough to make it your primary saddle. I'm going to run it this year for sure.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a saddle that I wouldn't like for hunting. A cheap RCH is more economical (and a bit better than a climbing belt). I'd target a saddle that really interests me.

Opportunity knocks.

If you don't have a backup saddle, here is a chance to.

Just de-scent it after you've done all your work.

Why have a backup? Hunt in the rain? We change wet diapers on babies, right, lol.

I have the Wood Hunting Saddle Original that was recommended, and it does pack down small, it is quite light, but is also a big enough single panel to be comfortable with all the different hunting styles: platforms, ropes, ros, etc. Though you might like it enough to make it your primary saddle. I'm going to run it this year for sure.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a saddle that I wouldn't like for hunting. A cheap RCH is more economical (and a bit better than a climbing belt). I'd target a saddle that really interests me.

Opportunity knocks.

Yup. A backup saddle is also on my mind for this. Part of why I didn't want it to be too minimalist. Just in case I do need it for a sit or two every now and then. The recon seems very easy to wash. Well, at least seems easier than other saddles.

Yes, I think it would be easy to wash. I haven't washed mine yet but may. I haven't gotten it too sweaty. John Eberhart has a video on washing his gear, and he uses a very similar 2 panel saddle. A backup saddle is nice to have also.

The recon sounds better. I bought a harness of Amazon last year. I used it a few times. Trimmed a tree. Set a few things. It is not very comfortable to sit back into. I was tied off. But that's all I can say. So kinda hard to sit back and work some things. Screenshot_20220724-084351~2.png

Yes, I think it would be easy to wash. I haven't washed mine yet but may. I haven't gotten it too sweaty. John Eberhart has a video on washing his gear, and he uses a very similar 2 panel saddle. A backup saddle is nice to have also.

I saw that video. Using that method, it won't take any more effort washing one saddle or another, mainly the difference would be dry time, I suspect, with padded probably taking the longest.

Back