• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recon, Treesuite, Cut up Muddy life line, and some questions....

Flick

Hello everyone,

This is my second post. I went back and did some research after my first. I seem to have discovered I wanted to try saddle hunting a month or two too late to get one of the popular saddles in with enough time to practice before my season opener in Oct. So my solution its as follows; I want to get the following gear (See Phase I List) so that I can get at least hooked up at ground level and start practicing within the next week. At the time of writing this all the DIY components for climbing rope were backordered. I will also order some upgrades/alternatives once I practice a little at the end of August (See Phase II list). I am starting to lose my head in all this and I believe I am overthinking it, so please let me know. Is this a dumb idea? or are these initial components enough to start practicing and then the phase II stuff will make things safer / more suited to what I want to do? Any advice is appreciated. For what its worth, I'm a larger guy 6ft 2" and 245-250lbs.

Side note: I want to try one sticking & will be attempting that with a generic set of double steps I have now until I buy either a set of muddy pro sticks or a single helium stick from Midway)

PHASE I:
Saddle:
Treehopper Recon (Advice on web bridge vs amsteel? Leaning towards webbing for now ant the making a utili bridge out fo Oplux later)
Platform: Treesuite Platform
Lineman: Muddy Safe line (Cut down for lineman and tether on sale for $19.99)
Carabiners For Linemen: Salvage from web style lineman I have now
Tether: Muddy Safe line (Cut down for lineman and tether on sale for $19.99)
Tether Carabiner: Salvage from an old harness or Black Diamond Rock Lock

Does anyone know what cord/size cord to use to make a distel hitch on the Muddy Line?

PHASE II: (possible upgrades / modifications)
DIY Tether #1:
Oplux8mm w/ 6mm Trc distil hitch & aider (thoughts on 3d printed options? I have a 3d printer)
or
DIY Tether #2: Sterling HTP Static 10mm w/ 7mm Sterling Acc. Cord Distel Hitch & Aider (thoughts on 3d printed options? I have a 3d printer)
Tether Caribiner: Mad Rock Hulk HMS
UtiliBridge: Oplux8mm w/ 6mm Trc prusik knot
Tree Sticks: Muddy Pro set or Hawk Helium Singlestick
Climbing Aider: 1" tubular webbing
Gear Storage: Gear Daisy Chain
Hero Clip
Diy 3d printed Bow holder(Got some ideas)

Upgrade Lineman Carabiners: OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS
Rappelling Setup: Need to research more
Platform upgrade: Possibly add squirrel steps to strap on treesuite or scout OOAL or Higher-end folding platform like predator or OOAL Podium

I just checked and all of the DIY rope supplies are now available from EWO, anyone with experience on shipping times to PA? May just skip the Muddy and go with the DIY lines from the get-go.

Any Changes y'all would make or anyone have bad experiences with the equipment listed?

Thanks in advance.

Kudos first off for actually doing your homework and reading existing posts, that seems to happen so rarely lately, you are now the exception to the rule!

Your phase one approach is very workable. Do not underestimate the power of the Recon, just because it one of the most affordable options does not mean it is a lesser option and may be all you ever want or need. It is a great saddle. Also, the webbing bridge is perfectly fine and an adjustable bridge is highly overrated on it due to the way it fits, you simply don't need to adjust it once you find the perfect length for you.

Go for it and have some fun!

Im a newby too. Check out Genesis 3D printing! They have some nice products that may help your designs. What part of PA? I have a brand new 30" hawk stick that I'm selling.

You tube and this forum are just loaded with content/reviews. I haven't sat in my saddle yet (another week) but can visualize the movements/ tether heights.
Feel so much more prepared because of the prep work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

UPDATE: Placing orders today, decided to go the DIY route for my tether and lineman, just sent @DanO at EWO an order for some Oplux & SRC for my tether and some HTS and Sterling acc. cord for my lineman. I really like the idea of cutting down a muddy line if you have one, but I wanted to try some different style hitch knots w/ aiders and couldn't find any info on what to use for a prusik with the muddy line.

About to send treehopper.com an order as well.

"PHASE I" here I come. Look forward to getting everything in and starting to practice practice practice.

@Bwhana Thanks so much! I am looking forward to trying the saddle out, placing my orders today.

@SEPA@73 I am near Johnstown / Altoona. Exit 110 on the pike. I don't do anything anymore without massively overthinking and prepping for it, just wish I could put in the time to figure out deer like everything else....they are still a mystery.

Full disclosure... Im a Recon kool-aid drinker. I was involved with testing the prototypes. I cant imagine that there is a more comfortable, well priced, saddle that is available without stupid wait times. Seriously...I understand a couple years ago when the Kestrel and Mantis were 1st released, the demand was crazy and it resulted in long wait times for orders. But its 2 years later and there are a ton of choices...a manufacturer needs to supply a product in a couple weeks (and also have decent customer support). Treehopper does that. USA made saddle, inexpensive, and to your door quickly.
I like the webbing bridge but guys are modifying it with a sweet utilibridge. I never tried an oplux bridge on my Recon.

I'm not as crazy about the Treesuit. Its an okay platform. Lightweight, inexpensive, and solid. But it doesn't level and I like a step on the strap...which needs to be located above the platform. I like the (more expensive) Predator for my needs.
For the accessories...tether, lineman, etc, its hard to beat Dano.

@Allegheny Tom,

Thanks for the response! I have no problem waiting for a quality product, but I also want to practice with my setup and fine-tune it before I even think about taking it into the hunting woods, I wanted to get into a tree and practice ASAP. That's what drove me to the Recon, but the more I read the more I liked. I think worst-case scenario is that I do get a different saddle in the future and have a really awesome back up that I can keep in the jeep. I was planning on getting an H2 slingshot or XC cruzr. I will say that I was very impressed with how quick Mark from treehopper got back to me when I had questions about the saddle.

Now I am torn about the tree suite, how do you feel about the OOAL Podium? It would only be an additional $40. Kind of the same situation though in my mind, the worst-case scenario I have a backup platform to keep in the Jeep if I upgrade later (also a really nice tree seat for my Dad to use).

Im a newby too. Check out Genesis 3D printing! They have some nice products that may help your designs. What part of PA? I have a brand new 30" hawk stick that I'm selling.

You tube and this forum are just loaded with content/reviews. I haven't sat in my saddle yet (another week) but can visualize the movements/ tether heights.
Feel so much more prepared because of the prep work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks, Man,

I can't wait to start shooting from my setup. I am definitely enjoying the research now that I have dove just a little deeper into it. Send me a PM about that stick. I want to try one sticking with the stick I have now, If I like it I would definitely be interested in buying that helium off of you.

You had mentioned in your OP that you needed to research rappelling gear a little more. Here is a PM that @DanO sent me when I inquired about rappelling back in March. Helped me tremendously and all of this gear is on the EWO sight. I hope this helps you.

Rappelling Gear:
  • 35-45' of rappelling rope (8mm Oplux or 9mm HTP). I use 40'.
  • Kong Quick Link (for girth hitching the rope easily)
  • Paracord & carabiner for retrieval of rope (can be the same as your pull up rope)
  • MadRock Safeguard if you want mechanical device (not quite in spec for Oplux but its what many of us use, I just can't officially endorse it for Oplux).
  • Locking Carabiner for connecting Safeguard
  • HollowBlock or Beal Jammy for autoblock backup with locking carabiner
Optionally, you can use a Grivel Figure 8, Grivel Master Mono or other ATC belay device with an HMS style carabiner instead of the MadRock Safeguard.

You had mentioned in your OP that you needed to research rappelling gear a little more. Here is a PM that @DanO sent me when I inquired about rappelling back in March. Helped me tremendously and all of this gear is on the EWO sight. I hope this helps you.

Rappelling Gear:
  • 35-45' of rappelling rope (8mm Oplux or 9mm HTP). I use 40'.
  • Kong Quick Link (for girth hitching the rope easily)
  • Paracord & carabiner for retrieval of rope (can be the same as your pull up rope)
  • MadRock Safeguard if you want mechanical device (not quite in spec for Oplux but its what many of us use, I just can't officially endorse it for Oplux).
  • Locking Carabiner for connecting Safeguard
  • HollowBlock or Beal Jammy for autoblock backup with locking carabiner
Optionally, you can use a Grivel Figure 8, Grivel Master Mono or other ATC belay device with an HMS style carabiner instead of the MadRock Safeguard.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! this is going to be very helpful.

@Allegheny Tom,

Thanks for the response! I have no problem waiting for a quality product, but I also want to practice with my setup and fine-tune it before I even think about taking it into the hunting woods, I wanted to get into a tree and practice ASAP. That's what drove me to the Recon, but the more I read the more I liked. I think worst-case scenario is that I do get a different saddle in the future and have a really awesome back up that I can keep in the jeep. I was planning on getting an H2 slingshot or XC cruzr. I will say that I was very impressed with how quick Mark from treehopper got back to me when I had questions about the saddle.

Now I am torn about the tree suite, how do you feel about the OOAL Podium? It would only be an additional $40. Kind of the same situation though in my mind, the worst-case scenario I have a backup platform to keep in the Jeep if I upgrade later (also a really nice tree seat for my Dad to use).
I've never tied a Podium so I can't comment on it from personal experience, but I do like the concept of it. But proof is in the doing so it's hard to know about any product until it's actually tried. Lots of stuff that looks good on paper isn't as good as they look when you are out and about and using it.
I already owned 3 Predators by the time the Podium was released so I never bought one. Otherwise, I would probably have tried one.

UPDATE:

Got my order in form @DanO & made my tether and lineman belt. I used a distel hitch with aider/tenders on both. Here is a picture of the lineman belt with an aider/tender I 3d printed & my tether.

IMG_20200810_070744.png
IMG_20200810_122156.png
Did I tie these knots correctly?

Just waiting on my saddle to come in from treehopper & I can start shooting/practicing.

Thank You SO MUCH to everyone for all the help! I am sure there are more questions to come.

Last edited:
Back