• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recurve help

Ryanp1212

Looking for some help from all you trad masters. I acquired my grandfather's old bear recurve. The string has no twist in it do I need a new string. Can i just twist it how and how much. I cant find much info on it like what brace height should be. I have a pse ghost cheapo that I've played with but I'm a compound guy and dont know much about these. I'd really like to get this bear setup and maybe kill something with it.. I think that would be cool to us my grandfather's bow. Any help would be appreciated

What model is your bow? If it's not marked post up a pic. But you can add/ take away string twists to achieve the proper brace height. All recurve strings should have some twist in it. If your unsure of proper string length the gold standard starting point is to take your AMO length and subtract 4 inches for a starting string length. The add/take away twist from there.

See how the string isn't twisted is it shot or I just twist it up and how do I know how many times

That's the original string that came with it is what it looks like! If I was you I would get a new string for it because I would hate for you to put it on and it be dry rotten and break and damage your bow especially since it has sentimental value! New strings do not cost much! The amo 58" is the length you use to get a string!

I’d replace the string if I were you. Just because it’s likely old. Better safe than sorry.

Assuming that bow is not compatible with more modern string materials. Get a replacement out of b-50 or b-55. These strings will stretch and you’ll have to keep track of your brace height for a while before they settle in.

I’d give somebody like Lancaster archery or three rivers a call, they’ll likely be able to guide you to the correct string and a good price. I make my own, but in this instance I’d recommend just ordering one.

I’m no expert with old bear bows. I would assume a brace height of 7.5-8.5” but it shouldn’t be too hard to find the specs on a google search.

You can also string the bow up as is and twist the string to get the brace height in range then measure it while strung. And then go to one of the many string makers and give them an exact length when strung. A little pricier, but probably better quality than something you’d get off the shelf.

That's an early 70's Tigercat made in Grayling. Its 58" AMO, so a new string needs to be 54". With a 45lbs there is no need to get one over 12 strands. Flemish twist strings are nice too. All shooter preference. That bow is NOT fast flight compatible. Getting a newer low stretch string can and will damage it. Brace should be somewhere in the 6.5-7.5 range. Adjust until you get good arrow flight with minimum vibration. Then add any silencers to the bow if you plan to hunt. I shoot off the shelf on almost all my bows. But I also am a pure instinctive shooter with more bow cant then most. Shooting off the shelf places the arrow closer to my hand and I get better shot to shot consistency that way. If you like I can look it up once I get home and give you a better year range for your Tigercat. Initially I would say its a 73-76 model.

Get a flemish string. They twist/untwist better, and they also are softer at the loops. String slap on the limb tips is quieter.

I shoot off the shelf. Most custom bows have a pronounced radius on the shelf directly above the push point of the handle. You can simulate that by gluing a toothpick, match stick, sliver of leather, etc under the rest material.
The window needs a bump on it in the same manner. Both of those contact points help minimize inconsistent grip and torque.

Last edited:
Ok so I got a string put on. I twisted it to hwt brace height to 8. Nock is set just a hair high. Bow has a twang and arrow flight is terrible any more pointers lol

I shoot my other recurve pretty good so I dont think it's me but I bought this other one setup I've never tuned a recurve before

Bow is going to twang some. Esp if it's bare. Brace height seems a bit long. I would back it off to around 7-7.5in. I generally will start my nock point at 3/8 in above level and go from there. Remember, cock feather out, no vanes, feathers only off a the shelf, and generally the heavier the arrow the better.

I shoot my other recurve pretty good so I dont think it's me but I bought this other one setup I've never tuned a recurve before
You should paper tune it. Bare shaft. That can tell you a lot about arrow flight.
Nock height...start out too high and come down little by little until porpiosing is reduced.
Brace height is a little harder to figure out. The lower, the better but too low can cause wrist slap and also poor arrow flight.

How tight are your nocks? Too tight leads to poor arrow flight.

Twang...can be caused by too light of an arrow. 10 grains per bow pound is minimum. Heavier arrows shoot quieter.
Are you using any sting silencers? There are lots of good ones on the market, but I prefer beaver balls. They seem more traditional to me rather than cat whiskers or other synthetic silencers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back