• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Red Velvet Mites

fbwguy

Staff member
SH Member
Anybody out there ever get attacked by these things? My Monday hunt was miserable. It was 92 when I got settled in the saddle. Thermacell was keeping the skeeters at bay, but I started noticing I was getting bit. I keep trying to brush them away, but I was overtaken. It was horrible, I should have moved trees, but it was so hot and humid I stuck it out. Bad Move! It’s now Wednesday and it feels like the worst case of chiggers I ever had. 0ABA105C-4177-4958-93B8-505D8FC80554.jpeg

And I thought the random skeeter harrassing me while hunting in 80 degree NY weather was irritating...

Seen them around but never before have I seen a tree infestation. Nasty!

The red velvet mites do not bite or sting...if you have bites it is from something else.
Maybe they aren’t supposed to bite, but I was smashing the little buggers as the did. They were on my arms and crawled down my neck. I sure wasn’t imagining the bites. These things were hungry.

Maybe they aren’t supposed to bite, but I was smashing the little buggers as the did. They were on my arms and crawled down my neck. I sure wasn’t imagining the bites. These things were hungry.
interesting...even if they did not bite it would suck having them crawling all over you the whole time!

Back