• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Redneck Belay Device/Tender

Marmuzz

Edit: This was a brainstorm I had but admittedly it’s not a good idea. You are advised not to replicate this. Thanks to those who commented on the potential dangers of this.

Okay safety police, climbing experienced people, chew me out, I have to be missing something…

Yesterday I was testing out friction hitches above my Mammut Smart 2.0, and watched some videos on using an ATC belay device. With a hitch above a belay device, I began to think, all that device is is an expensive hitch tender. The hitch is really doing all the work.

I started thinking about the "U-bend" shape these devices force the rope into after your carabiner clips and I wondered why any slotted item couldn't work the same way... it wouldn't even have to be climbing related, or climbed rated... it's just a tender right??

I tested it out this morning in my basement. Threw a quick link on in place of the Smart. Sure enough, in this configuration, it tended the hitch up, and because I have figured out a hitch the seems fitted to my bodyweight, it let me down fine.

To be fair, I didn't test this on a tree with my full bodyweight. Maybe on rappel a legit device would help rope feed out better and make releasing the hitch easier.

It has me wondering, IF YOU USE A HITCH *ABOVE THE DEVICE, why pay $25-50 for a climb-spec belay device when any $5 hardware store item with a nicely rounded slot for the rope will work?

So... what am I missing? I'm completely open to being corrected and told this is stupid and unsafe if it is.

7C01FE36-5EA9-461B-A091-3365062044E7.jpeg

Last edited:
What’s preventing the link from turning and “swallowing” the carabiner (and the ends of your friction hitch that are tied to it) under load? It appears that a rotation of the quick link would make that possible.

Regardless, the cost of a climbing-rated ATC or Figure8 is typically under $20. That’s probably not the best part of your hunting budget to skimp on.

Not jumping on you @Marmuzz , but this is the part of what we do that I don't understand. We (myself included) will go spend THOUSANDS on the best new bow, rifle, shotgun...... But we try to skimp on the actual life saving devices like ropes and devices.

A ring works without jamming up, but not as much friction as other devices without more work. The v groove of the ATC, and the ridges of the Smart assist in holding and descending.
94B9ECD6-9EE6-43E7-9864-C6F3339E9B49.jpeg

You would probably do as well or better just using a Munter Hitch, and have less gear to carry.

(This post is aimed at the OP)

Yea that’s gonna be a NO from me dog. If you want to be cheap, at least get a $5 rappel ring as @Brocky suggested. If you actually can’t afford an atc I’ll buy you one on one condition: you use it properly and stay safe…

Or like I have said in your 2 other threads… just add on your figure 8 when you want to go down. It takes no time at all.

What’s preventing the link from turning and “swallowing” the carabiner (and the ends of your friction hitch that are tied to it) under load? It appears that a rotation of the quick link would make that possible.

Regardless, the cost of a climbing-rated ATC or Figure8 is typically under $20. That’s probably not the best part of your hunting budget to skimp on.
Conceptually I think you’d have to select a piece of hardware with a proper spec’d ID per the mm of your rope. Most people probably wouldn’t think that far. Definitely an advantage to using a device… the specs are already predetermined.

I’ve rappelled a bit in my life. While I’m no master, I do have some experience.
1) Using non rated gear isn’t worth your life.
2) Your quick link isn’t putting the same amount of friction an ATC or figure 8 would. It could possibly work, but you will need to use a lot more arm strength versus legit gear.
3) While the quick link works (and I’m sure it would for a time) it will probably bend over time and/or after a big fall.
This is the same reason we choose not to hunt with 550 or Walmart poly line as a rappel line. At some point that stuff will fail and you will fall. That’s the whole idea behind getting rated gear - minimize risk to injury.

Yea that’s gonna be a NO from me dog. If you want to be cheap, at least get a $5 rappel ring as @Brocky suggested. If you actually can’t afford an atc I’ll buy you one on one condition: you use it properly and stay safe…

Or like I have said in your 2 other threads… just add on your figure 8 when you want to go down. It takes no time at all.
Ha, you got my number @gcr0003. No, I can afford an ATC and I think I’ll just get one.

I enjoy the process of brainstorming through these concepts and tinkering with what might be possible, but I don’t want to encourage something stupid. There’s enough monkey see monkey do in this saddle business just because a username on the internet said so. I know I’ve posted a number of outside-the-box innovations but I think oughta lay off because I don’t want anyone to get hurt.

Back