• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Reflective Tape for marking blood trail / deer location

wardergy

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer/model/color of reflective survey tape and a source? Looks like there is a lot of crap out there. I just want to rip off a few pieces (not adhesive) so I can retrace a path in the dark with my flashlight. Thanks.

I use 3M adhesive backed and it is 3" X 6" I believe. I cut a 1" strip X 3" and wrap it around a wooden stick like a popsickle stick only wider called a craft stick. I put 20 in a bundle and wrap it with rubber bands. Stick them in the ground at an angle right at the blood sign at direction changes. Works for me.

I just made a bunch of trail markers. For each one, I cut a 12" piece of this

then on each end of that I put 1.5" of this (wrapped a 3" piece around the end)

This stuff has good reviews but my adhesive backer wouldn't peel, so I stapled it (might have defective tape). In hindsight, since I'm using orange flagging anyway, I should've gone with a cheap/thinner silver reflective tape.

and then I put one of these in the middle of the orange flagging to attach to branch

Packs super small/light, works great (super visible day or night), but takes a time to make them

For blood trails I use the little clip on Allen orange reflective thingies. Use the twelve to mark my way forward then go back to the first and repeat. Keeps me from doubling back over myself, and easily removable on the way out.

For blood trails I use the little clip on Allen orange reflective thingies. Use the twelve to mark my way forward then go back to the first and repeat. Keeps me from doubling back over myself, and easily removable on the way out.
I use those also for that purpose.. I just thinking about it, I carry 3 forms of trail marking stuff....if u hunt public land and bounce around a lot I think it very useful to carry too much trail marking stuff...

I use those also for that purpose.. I just thinking about it, I carry 3 forms of trail marking stuff....if u hunt public land and bounce around a lot I think it very useful to carry too much trail marking stuff...
Haha. I completely agree. But I don't put anything permanent in. I use OnX to mark my scouted spots, and the trail that I want to walk, and I place the reflective clips when I walk in, and then remove them when I am walking out. I know this absolutely doesn't protect my spot, but somehow it gives me a peace of mind. It feels like I have a personal hunting spot...that probably 30 other guys are also hunting.

Haha. I completely agree. But I don't put anything permanent in. I use OnX to mark my scouted spots, and the trail that I want to walk, and I place the reflective clips when I walk in, and then remove them when I am walking out. I know this absolutely doesn't protect my spot, but somehow it gives me a peace of mind. It feels like I have a personal hunting spot...that probably 30 other guys are also hunting.
Same...hahaha

I use reflective paracord with a reflective vinyl wrap on the end to mark a temporary trail I'll take down on the way back in, the orange clip on 1s for blood, and also carry regular old flagging tape....i gotten turned around too many times and the 30 minute walk turned into hours long..funny how the log u used to crossing the creek or only easy way through super thick brush just disappear when the sun goes down

Same...hahaha

I use reflective paracord with a reflective vinyl wrap on the end to mark a temporary trail I'll take down on the way back in, the orange clip on 1s for blood, and also carry regular old flagging tape....i gotten turned around too many times and the 30 minute walk turned into hours long..funny how the log u used to crossing the creek or only easy way through super thick brush just disappear when the sun goes down

Link to the vinyl wrap? This would work good on blaze orange paracord, I think.

I don't have a link...my mother in law buys it to cut stickers on her plotter. The stuff I got come in a 3ftx6ft roll...maybe a little excessive

I would think any arrow wrap would work or the CEZ precut 1s they sell. Someone on hear researched and posted a link but I don't remember where

Link to the vinyl wrap? This would work good on blaze orange paracord, I think.

What do u use for marking trail? U say u hunting thick swamps so I would assume u have a method to help from getting turned around
The last reflective tacks that I really relied upon have finally rusted out this year. Couldn't find them when I went to hunt opening day. Crossed that spot on memory, a GPS, and compass bearing. I have weaned myself off trail markers over the years.

As far as blood trails, I just use whatever I have. I usually mark first found blood with an arrow or piece of clothing. I'll use tp if I have it. I also will sometimes take a stick, strip the bark, and stick it in the ground as a temporary marker here and there if the trail is rough.

If you;re talking tracking blood...Toilet paper......l alway carry half a roll of cheap biodegradable so Ican usae it to follow a trail, hang a small square in a tree, and just leave it. Its dissinegrated after first rain....

as far as little strips or tacks, bright eyes i think is hwat I have been using....the3y work well. The strips ar e nice is not so wooded areas like swamps...

I wrap reflective tape around plastic drinking straws, then cut them into 1.5" strips.
Dental floss works great to hang them from branches and they can be seen from any angle with a headlamp.

tent guylines usually have reflective cord wrapped into them now. Can buy a 50' section of that, cut into 6" lengths, tie overhand knot to make a loop, shove 20 in your pack, they weighnothing. Just hang on branch or whatever, pick up on way out.

If you want visible in daylight, buy orange color. If you want camo'd in daylight, buy green.

They make these as small as 1.5mm ish, and it's dirt cheap.

That said, I'd still use toilet paper. But if you're hell bent on reflective, this is the way to go.

Back