• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Reinforcing post tubing

hoff1ck

Fairly new to the site and saddle hunting in general. I've scoured the internet and youtube, so I apologize if this has been discussed numerous times and I just missed it. I have an XOP seat for my platform and ordered the rest of the parts from Eastern Woods Outdoors today. Are the only two methods of reinforcing the tubing to use JB weld and a flat plate of some sort, or wood on the inside? Just wondering if there is another/better method for reinforcing the tubing.

Fairly new to the site and saddle hunting in general. I've scoured the internet and youtube, so I apologize if this has been discussed numerous times and I just missed it. I have an XOP seat for my platform and ordered the rest of the parts from Eastern Woods Outdoors today. Are the only two methods of reinforcing the tubing to use JB weld and a flat plate of some sort, or wood on the inside? Just wondering if there is another/better method for reinforcing the tubing.
For reinforcing the adjustment screw, I always used a flat plate that was riveted on. For the pivot hole I used a stainless insert.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

For reinforcing the adjustment screw, I always used a flat plate that was riveted on. For the pivot hole I used a stainless insert.

Is the stainless insert for the pivot hole necessary?

Thanks! Found a thread on your old kits, that cleared up quite a bit too. Can anyone give me a rough idea on measurements as to where each cleat and the pivot point for the seat needs to be on the post as well? Using DanO's 9" aluminum post and his cleats for reference. I like to tinker and have the XOP seat already, otherwise I'd just buy the predator and be done with it.

My adjustment bolt left a dent in the aluminum tube. I drilled a hole at the dent and put in a carriage bolt.

Thanks! Found a thread on your old kits, that cleared up quite a bit too. Can anyone give me a rough idea on measurements as to where each cleat and the pivot point for the seat needs to be on the post as well? Using DanO's 9" aluminum post and his cleats for reference. I like to tinker and have the XOP seat already, otherwise I'd just buy the predator and be done with it.

Put the standoff cleats on the ends with a little meat left so they are fully supported. I think mine are drilled 3/4" from the end but you could go 1" or put them flush. What works for me is to dry fit the platform and put it so the platform is dead center when deployed. Mark the holes and drill out. That sets it up so the standoffs take an even amount of the pressure.

Put the standoff cleats on the ends with a little meat left so they are fully supported. I think mine are drilled 3/4" from the end but you could go 1" or put them flush. What works for me is to dry fit the platform and put it so the platform is dead center when deployed. Mark the holes and drill out. That sets it up so the standoffs take an even amount of the pressure.

Perfect, thanks! Can't wait to get it together and try it out.

Back