• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Release Me

Jammintree

SH Member
This has been my first season shooting a compound bow after 2 years hunting with a recurve. In time I plan to hunt with both as they both have their virtues. If there was one thing I particularly don’t like about the compound it’s having a metal release strapped to my hand all day. To quiet it and minimize the cold metal in my hand I’ve added shrink tubing to the trigger and cloth camo wrap around the grip. But there’s gotta be a better way. Everything about it is cumbersome and awkward except the smooth trigger release function. So what do you all do to manage a chunk of cold metal in your hand all day?

I use a thumb release but it’s still cold. To get around that I don’t leave it in my hand all day. It goes inside my muff.

I use a thumb release but it’s still cold. To get around that I don’t leave it in my hand all day. It goes inside my muff.

Yeah, I’ve been doing something similar with my convertible mittens.

What about the metal on metal noise when working beaners and sticks etc?

Many folks stealth strip sticks or sometimes fill them with spray foam. I wouldn’t recommend the spray foam. Other methods I’ve seen are plastidip, bedliner or paint. You can also wrap them in paracord. For biners some folks go plastidip or stealthstrips. Just be carefully you don’t foul up the works or obstruct the gate mechanisms.

Yeah, I’ve been doing something similar with my convertible mittens.

What about the metal on metal noise when working beaners and sticks etc?

I take it off and either put it in my pocket, pack or strap it to my bow when setting up. I don’t climb or set up with it on. Once I’m set and ready to hunt it goes on. The temp of my release has never been considered in any fashion, positive or negative. I guess it eventually gets to the same temp as my hand or the pockets/muff my hand goes in.

I tend to just tuck it into my sleeve cuff. My release allows it to be folded down to be out of the way, but if I then tuck it into my sleeve it's like it's not even there. I generally wear some type of gloves, so the temp of the release has never really been a problem.

I tend to just tuck it into my sleeve cuff. My release allows it to be folded down to be out of the way, but if I then tuck it into my sleeve it's like it's not even there. I generally wear some type of gloves, so the temp of the release has never really been a problem.

Yeah, I’ve been doing something similar. It just doesn’t often stay in my sleeve for long and is prone to pop out and tap some other metal.

Having carried a recurve for a few years I got spoiled by always being able to shoot at a moments notice without having to configure all my stuff. Even if I was to forget or loose my release I could always just shoot the bow with bare fingers. One day I even improvised a shooting tab after misplacing mine - and that quick hack almost landed me the biggest buck I’ve ever seen up close, alas he ducked my shot.

I use a thumb release as well. After I get set up, I clip it on my d-loop and that's where it stays. Have been doing this for 15 years.

I’ll definitely check out and consider a thumb release, but don’t dare make such a big change mid season.

This has been my first season shooting a compound bow after 2 years hunting with a recurve. In time I plan to hunt with both as they both have their virtues. If there was one thing I particularly don’t like about the compound it’s having a metal release strapped to my hand all day. To quiet it and minimize the cold metal in my hand I’ve added shrink tubing to the trigger and cloth camo wrap around the grip. But there’s gotta be a better way. Everything about it is cumbersome and awkward except the smooth trigger release function. So what do you all do to manage a chunk of cold metal in your hand all day?
Shoot a thumb release so I don't have something stuck to my hand all day :)

I hunt with a hinge release that I drilled and tapped to use it on a wrist strap so I don't drop it. Just like it that way. Before I start my climb I just tuck it into my sleeve and it holds it fine. Once in the tree and set up ill get it out and usually keep my hands in my coat pockets or muff and it stays warm in there. Just something u have to get used to. For me it's much better to have it strapped to my hand then be fumbling around for it in a pocket if a deer sneaks up quickly. Everything is a trade-off so pick your poison.

Back