• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Reloading

MathewsMan7

Quick question for the reloaders...I have my nosler manual on the way, but was curious if someone with a nosler manual on here would show me a pic of the data nosler has for their 165grain partition bullets with H4895.

I use hodgdon’s website for all my info, what caliber? Nosler has loads on there site to I think.

.30-06.

Hodgdon doesn’t have data for the 165 grain with H4895. I found a recipe in Lee’s manual that was with a “165 grain jacketed bullet” which I’m sure will be fine. Was just hoping to compare it to Nosler’s manual...on their website they don’t have H4895 as a powder used for that bullet weight, so I was hoping their manual did...

So for that first one the starting charge is 43.4 the max charge is 46.7

I loaded rounds from 45-47.5 with a COL of 3.280-3.285...I saw that chart, albeit post powder charge and bullet seat...I’m afraid my last charges of 47.5 may be getting high pressure, but I just don’t know. Do you think my shorter OAL is anything to worry about or no?

When you get to the edges of what your systems can tolerate, my thinking doesn't mean anything. You have to observe and react accordingly.

This vid does a good job explaining it.

If you do a search Nosler has a website for reloading for most if not all their bullets with most popular powders

I loaded rounds from 45-47.5 with a COL of 3.280-3.285...I saw that chart, albeit post powder charge and bullet seat...I’m afraid my last charges of 47.5 may be getting high pressure, but I just don’t know. Do you think my shorter OAL is anything to worry about or no?
Shorter COAL isn't really an issue with large bottle neck cases because it has such small effect on case volume. And to some degree, moving the bullet further from the lands helps reduce pressure as well. With say a 9mm case, seating the bullet deeper has a much larger effect on case volume.

What are you seeing that's causing concern about excessive pressure? And may be a good time to pick up a chronograph.

.30-06.

Hodgdon doesn’t have data for the 165 grain with H4895. I found a recipe in Lee’s manual that was with a “165 grain jacketed bullet” which I’m sure will be fine. Was just hoping to compare it to Nosler’s manual...on their website they don’t have H4895 as a powder used for that bullet weight, so I was hoping their manual did...

Using a powder burn rate list, look at the powders you do have data for, then find which one is closest to the burn rate of the powder you want to use. Start on the small end and work your way up.

The webpage lists IMR...I wouldn’t be afraid to use that data and start at the minimum load I’ve done so with IMR 4831 and H4831

Ok. Thanks. Hopefully can ladder test in the next couple weeks. Fee fine about it now. Thanks.

No worries...I almost made the same mistake when starting load development. I looked at IMR 4895 instead of H4895 when I was writing down charge weights prior to throwing the charges...good thing I caught it.

If you didn’t already buy a chronograph, the best thing I ever did for my reloading. I’m in reloading mode right now, luckily I found what little bit of extra stuff I wanted, I have never seen an ammo rush this bad.

If you didn’t already buy a chronograph, the best thing I ever did for my reloading. I’m in reloading mode right now, luckily I found what little bit of extra stuff I wanted, I have never seen an ammo rush this bad.

Same. Seriously shortened my load development. I do statistics kinda for a living so having a variable measurement to base reloading decisions on that isn't affected by how crappy I'm shooting works for how my brain works.

Same. Seriously shortened my load development. I do statistics kinda for a living so having a variable measurement to base reloading decisions on that isn't affected by how crappy I'm shooting works for how my brain works.
And it proved to me how inconsistent my factory ammo was, I had no idea before. I keep my coal conservative as I’m a hunter first and plinker second, I want consistent feeding, then I chrono until my speeds tighten up and shoot for groups, it works for me, I am sure there are others more knowledgable than me that do things different, I love reloading, I am like a kid every time I set that chrono up and try a new load lol.

I'd love to get a chrono...they're not cheap for reliable ones (so I've read)...That will come down the line hopefully! Finding components currently is not easy...

I believe my chrono cost less then 150 and I have had it for 10 years I can’t remember the brand but I’ll get it tonight

Back