• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Repelling question

MBH

Waiting for Sterling Rope to be shipped from EWO would you feel safe using muddy safeline it works good in mad rock just can’t find good info on that rope other than double braided nylon. I have been using it???

I advise against that with all the conviction in my bones. Muddy of today is absolute Chinese junk!!!! Original Muddy stuff is pretty good. I had a safeline from them that the core seperated on that had been used twice as a safeline on a hang on. It had been installed new out of the package less than 2 months prior to the incident. Had I been rappeling off that I'd have took a ride.

I would tell you not to.

However; I did it for about a month and a half at the start of our season and it was fine. I used a figure 8 and later a madrock lifeguard. I backed up the 8 with a schwebisch as an autoblock. No undue wear. Nothing crazy happened.

I did untie allllll the knots or cut and retie. I used a scaffold hitch on a quicklink to attach to the tree. It genuinely was fine for me. But your mileage may vary. Really, people generally advise against this using this because of the softer sheath and lack of knowledge of where and how the rope is sourced and actually rated. That was a risk I was personally willing to accept.

It worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way for me to really know but I'll bet that rope is just barely good enough to stop someone from hitting the ground once in a short fall. I'd almost bet it's no better than hardware store rope.

Because it's works once or even a few times doesn't mean that the 5th, 7th, 11th time etc it will not

No way for me to really know but I'll bet that rope is just barely good enough to stop someone from hitting the ground once in a short fall. I'd almost bet it's no better than hardware store rope.

Because it's works once or even a few times doesn't mean that the 5th, 7th, 11th time etc it will not

To be clear, even with the best of ropes, you should change it at after a shock load. Period. No rope on this earth should be used after sort of stress. It should also ALL be tested, often. This is a good habit whether you’re using dollar store rope (which you shouldn’t) or the highest end rope there is.

All that being said, having personally tested this rope pretty hard, you’re wrong. The sheath is softer and looser than I’d like but honestly I’ve seen more expensive rope hold up less well over time than this rope has.

Is it out of spec or being used against the manufactures recommendations? Of course. So is the oplux that guys are hanging from. Or the ropeman ascenders. It’s all over the place. The truth is, we’re all taking risks and you have to do the best you can with the knowledge you have and the equipment you can afford and obtain. Muddy rope as a tether goes back for quite a while and I’ve never seen someone post anywhere about it failing. I have seen posts on oplux failing, though. Something to think about.

To be clear, even with the best of ropes, you should change it at after a shock load. Period. No rope on this earth should be used after sort of stress. It should also ALL be tested, often. This is a good habit whether you’re using dollar store rope (which you shouldn’t) or the highest end rope there is.

All that being said, having personally tested this rope pretty hard, you’re wrong. The sheath is softer and looser than I’d like but honestly I’ve seen more expensive rope hold up less well over time than this rope has.

Is it out of spec or being used against the manufactures recommendations? Of course. So is the oplux that guys are hanging from. Or the ropeman ascenders. It’s all over the place. The truth is, we’re all taking risks and you have to do the best you can with the knowledge you have and the equipment you can afford and obtain. Muddy rope as a tether goes back for quite a while and I’ve never seen someone post anywhere about it failing. I have seen posts on oplux failing, though. Something to think about.
More expensive has got nothing to do with it. Weight rating does. Just saying.

More expensive has got nothing to do with it. Weight rating does. Just saying.

Right. I agree with that. But we can all agree that common sense says that if it’s rated for 300 lbs, (as it is) because that is the TMA standard the minimum breaking strength has to be higher. The concern is not that the rope can’t handle the weight, it is that the rope can’t handle the weight under shock loaded conditions. Which is LITERALLY the design purposed of the rope.

So the real concern stems from being ignorant of the ropes actual origin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use what you want, zero chance I would. Back during rescue training we shock loaded 11mm rope often, never from any height and often with more than one person hanging on the same line, can't help it dragging someone with you down cliff walls and never once did I worry about rope failure. They were proven and designed for the purpose. A muddy safety line is Not! What's the heat rating of the muddy rope

Bought a Muddy Safeline this fall to use for it's intended purpose and when I pulled it out of the box, the white core was poking through the jacket in two places. It's junk and the directions tell you to replace it if ever shock loaded. I wouldn't rap on it, no way. I have a couple thousand feet of dynamic and static rock climbing rope and the quality is entirely different. I'd wait on the Sterling for sure.

Bought a Muddy Safeline this fall to use for it's intended purpose and when I pulled it out of the box, the white core was poking through the jacket in two places. It's junk and the directions tell you to replace it if ever shock loaded. I wouldn't rap on it, no way. I have a couple thousand feet of dynamic and static rock climbing rope and the quality is entirely different. I'd wait on the Sterling for sure.

Thank you for all the response I’m going to wait for the sterling rope thanks again

Back