• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

replacing mantis leg strap g hooks with buckle

backstrap19

Hello,

I'm a mantis user, and generally I love it. However, i'm growing to hate the g hook leg loops. does anyone have any info on switching the leg loops to a buckle? keep in mind i have ZERO sewing machine experience or knowledge. any info on the type of buckle would also be helpful.

the reason i started to dislike the ghooks is mainly because when wearing the saddle in, i keep the leg straps loose to be more comfortable, but they eventually come unhooked when loosened. So, I started leaving them off and tucking them into my saddle when walking in. i also like to leave them loose so they don't restrict my leg movement while climbing and using my CAYG aider. I use the lower hookup that puts the strap perpendicular across my thighs. i prefer this hookup because when tightened down super tight, this helps prevent the saddle from riding up while in the tree. the higher hookup point doesn't help as much.

so again, any help on this topic would be much appreciated. I suspect that my lack of sewing experience will prevent me from doing this, but i'd really like to. i'd love to have the buckles stay hooked up and just loosened while walking and climbing. thanks in advance.

really?? do you have any info or pictures on this mod? did you use cobra buckles?

I don't know where to buy these because I've had them for so long or what their called but I'm sure you can find them on amazon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190825-221344.png
    Screenshot_20190825-221344.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20190825-221338.png
    Screenshot_20190825-221338.png
    796.6 KB · Views: 43
WOW. mind blowing revelation! thank you so much for the photos and info. i am already kissing my ghooks good bye!

thank you sir. this was very helpful.

I got the buckles today. I need to thank you again. I have fallen back in love with my mantis now. Those buckles were just what I needed. As a bonus, they took about 5 minutes to complete! THANK YOU AGAIN.

Post up some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched to plastic buckles on my leg straps I like them a lot better the g hooks would always get caught up in the attachment points and almost digging a hole in the middle

Maybe the mfgs will eventually obtain supply chain competency so they can move on to offering buckle customization without suffering lead times longer than the gestational period of a human person. We can dream can't we? I've bought 4 stock saddles and modded the buckles on all of them. I bastardized my Aero Flex with Tethrd G Hooks.

isn't it funny how personal preference works??? i nearly ordered a flex to escape the g hooks! haha. that's the part i love best about this saddle game. i have a few saddle hunting pals, and none of us use the same setups. it's fun to see what others like and do.

I got the buckles today. I need to thank you again. I have fallen back in love with my mantis now. Those buckles were just what I needed. As a bonus, they took about 5 minutes to complete! THANK YOU AGAIN.

No problem bud. Glad I could help you

isn't it funny how personal preference works??? i nearly ordered a flex to escape the g hooks! haha. that's the part i love best about this saddle game. i have a few saddle hunting pals, and none of us use the same setups. it's fun to see what others like and do.

Funny thing is I actually put the ghooks on my flex and hook them into the molle and it made those leg straps better! Hated them on my mantis and love them on my flex

Back