• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Replacing Ropes

red2delta

How often do most of your guys replace your ropes ( bridge, tethers, lineman belts, etc.)?

I have all the original Bandit ropes from New Tribe with my evolution.They all appear to look in great shape, but was curious what the rule of thumb is on replacing them. I read somewhere about how sometimes the core on ropes could be bad but the outer layer can look fine.
Any suggestions would help, thanks.

I try to replace every two years or seasons unless i notice fraying or crushed spots. If you run your hand down the ropes and notice flattening and or bumps its time to replace. If your ropes sit out in rain or sun that will also make them wear faster.

if they haven't taken a fall shock or been subject to some odd abuse, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Rappel rope on the other hand I'm not sure about....withstands a lot of friction. Again though reasoning tells me that the outer sheath will show the damage before anything is wrong with the inner, unless its taken fall shock loads

if you've got the cash though, better safe than sorry I guess. May want to ask on an arborist forum

Assuming high quality climbing ropes, somebody could hunt every single day of a 4 month season and not even come close to wearing one out. They're designed to have people going up and down them all day long year round. The amount of use on a hunt is a fraction of what a professional user puts them through.

Any concern for the tether where the ropeman is always "pinching" the rope? I was curious as well if there is a good rule of thumb on replacing ropes. I have original ropes from the evolution from about 4 or 5 years ago now.

Back