• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Replicating an Anderson's Tree Sling

Scott F

I thought about PMing John Eberhart and asking him a bunch of questions about his modified sling, but he probably has better things to do with his time than to answer PMs all night. I wanted ask a couple questions about the modified tree sling that he uses. I've used a bosun's chair type seat since I read "Onehair's" post on the Leatherwall back in 2009. It is a great seat, but I was looking make something that was easier to pack up and didn't take up as much space in my pack because of the plywood base. I have the dimensions of the treesaddle for a medium and large and have some patterns laying around my house. I finally have some webbing coming in the mail (seatbelt material) so I am getting ready to take the next step and make my sling. I keep going back and forth on whether to try and replicate a 'sling' or a 'saddle'...

I have MANY pictures of the Anderson's Tree Saddle saved on my computer. I also have photos of the original packaging of this sling -- but I have never seen one in person. I think that it would be relatively easy to make, but I still had a question or two about the one that you posted on this site.
1. The original Anderson's Tree Sling has a seat portion and a back rest portion that appear to be identical. The one that I saw posted appears to only have one of these, and in all of his photos that he posted. His appears to only use the seat portion. Is this an accurate statement, or should I make two of these for the sling?
2. The black strap on his sling: he posted that it could be removed because it really doesn't serve a purpose when used in the manner that he employs his sling. Would you recommend not putting it on the sling?
3. I asked about the 'black strap' on his personal sling because I am probably going to omit the metal hardware that connects his seat with the bridge. My intent is to make this a single loop - a seat and bridge. Is this wise or does the hardware serve a purpose that I am not seeing other than adjustment options?
4. Even though I am confident in my abilities to sew this thing up in a safe fashion, I was considering using a single nylon runner to parallel this seat/bridge combo. Ideally the runner would hang about an inch or two lower than my sling when it is weighted in use. The sole purpose of this is to stop me from lawn darting in the event that my sewing skills are currently too optimistic! Cheap insurance...
5. I really want to use a nylon runner as a tree hook up system girth hitched to the tree because it would be quick and simple. My goal is to alleviate as much metal as possible, this should work. Is my logic flawed?
6. What am I not considering??

Semper Fidelis,
Scott

This project is working out better than I anticipated. I received some great advice from someone via a phone call and it has helped me with some design challenges that I was having. I'll post pictures when I am done with my sling (and after I learn how to post pics on this forum...).

For materials I'm using 2" seat belt webbing and sewing it up using my speedy stitch with 100% polyester string with a breaking strength per strand ~38 lbs (Brownell B-50 Dacron) . It ain't all that pretty, especially since my thread is yellow and my webbing is black.

I'll probably keep my rope lead with a carabineer and friction knot, simply because I trust it and it is relatively easy to adjust the drape.

I'm interested to see how this comes out. I just did some modifications to the big buck sling that I received. I used my sewing machine and a lighter thread with more stiches. I haven't been able to get out in the backyard and test it on the ground but it seems very solid.

Looking at the design of the tree sling I see no reason why one couldn't be whipped up fairly easily.

When this is completed I'll post some pictures. In truth, it is essentially done now. I had intended to make it very similar to John Eberhart's "Stealth Sling" (that is a great name!), but then he had years to play with things in order to personalize it and he may have a different comfort zone while in a tree than I have. Accordingly, mine differs from his slightly.
To start with, I see a sling as having (3) distinct components: (1) the lead, (2) the bridge, and (3) the seat. I have completed the 'seat' portion and it is the part that I replicated from an assortment of Anderson Tree Sling photographs. Many of these pictures were taken with a ruler over top of the sling that way I have a reference for various lengths. Where my sling will differ from John's and the other sling type seats is that I want to be able to adjust the bridge, at least until I hunt out of it a couple of times so that I can see what length I like best. To accomplish this, I may use a nylon sling or probably some 1" tubular nylon that I have on hand tied with a water knot. This will give me the option to alter the length of the bridge until I discover what is right for me. As for the lead, I fully intend to use a tried and true 11mm rope with a friction knot and carabineer. I trust them and love the simplicity.

One challenge that I had was getting away from the notion that it HAD to be constructed similar to other slings (Anderson's / Big Bucks / etc). I searched and could not find a similar hardware device that these companies used; I'm referring to the steel oval piece. I thought about some climbing-grade quick links (Maillons), but decided against it when I remembered that I had some locking carabineers that could manage 2" webbing. These will work perfectly.

Weight: I am sure that my sling will ultimately weigh a little more than an original Tree Sling because of my carabineers. I'm also sure that it will not be as compact as the original because of my rope lead. Despite that, I am very happy with what I have so far. (So far) I have 21 years in the Marine Corps and I have learned my limitations when it comes to carrying heavy loads for distance -- this thing won't even be noticed in a pack regardless of the distance from my vehicle to my stand.

Sorry, I've been 'house hunting' recently so I haven't been on this forum for a while. I'm in the Marine Corps and I am getting ready to move from my current home in Tampa, heading back to Northern Virginia for a couple years.

I've never posted pictures on this site, I'll snap some today and try to upload them.

Just to let you know, this project was a lot easier than I had imagined if you have a speedy-stitch or other similar device to sew through the webbing. Since then, I've purchased an old Singer Model Machine and it is awesome. Despite this new purchase, I have not disassembled my sling to sew I up with the Singer because the one that I made with a speedy-stitch is functional.

Here are some pictures of the sling that I made. I am obviously NOT a photographer; sorry.

Attachments

• Sling 1.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 970
  • Sling 3 (2).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 899
  • Sling 3 (1).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 876
  • Sling 5 (2).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 887
  • Sling 5 (1).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 877
Looks like an excellent job! Two things:

1. Mind sharing your build plans?
2. Why go with a removable bridge?

It was pretty simple to do, my build plans were very limited. I had the advantage of a couple pictures that someone sent me of an Anderson Sling with a measuring tape next to it to depict the scale. From memory, I believe that it was 17" from where the bridge would connect to the bottom of the sling. I doubled this to make it 34" between my carabineers. The seat portion has some spreaders sewn in, keeping the outside edge of each seat portion ~6" apart (outer edge to outer edge).
My sling is a single piece of webbing wrapped around (2x) carabineers that were 34" apart. Where the two tag ends of the webbing stopped, I sewed it to the piece that it rested on. (make sense?)

As for the bridge, I wanted something that could be adjusted so I used some 1" climbing grade tubular nylon (Black Diamond). Right now it is a 24" bridge, but that may get adjusted in the future.

The sling packs down VERY small and is surprisingly comfortable. My intent at first was to try and replicate a treesaddle, but I doubt that it would even be worth my effort now, this thing fits the bill nicely. As an added bonus, I feel safe in it :) Despite that, I still may try to replicate a treesuit because my last sling had a hard seat and it was VERY comfortable.

I still want to figure a lineman's belt into the mix somehow which should be really easy to do, I just haven't attacked that problem yet.

I am by no means an expert, but I can try to answer questions if needed.

I'll try to get out there in the near future. I'm just beginning stages of a move from Tampa, FL [back] to Quantico, VA.
I'll see what I can take and post this weekend.

Here are some pictures that I used to construct my sling:

Attachments

• Sling length.JPG
    Sling length.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 662
  • Sling length 2.JPG
    Sling length 2.JPG
    952.6 KB · Views: 662
  • Sling width.JPG
    Sling width.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 660
  • seat and back rest.JPG
    seat and back rest.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 657
Scott Jhicks54 fixed me up with a Anderson sling. I had some materials left over so I attempted my own.
467fddb65955a37f3beb2272c0207378.jpg
8d123cf2f15aae5efbcbcdf3db50e5ca.jpg

I used three inch webbing for the sling an the hook up attachment strap is a replicated tree saddle. I think it is going to work.

Looks great!
I'm excited to use mine this year, I haven't had the opportunity to hunt out of it yet because I built it way after the season ended. I hope the deer in Virginia don't like to look up in the trees...
I'm thinking of replicating a Tree Suit next. The last homemade sling seat that I made had a plywood base and I liked it, I just didn't like packing it in my pack when heading to/from the stand. I think that I can make a tree suit look-a-like that includes a belt so that I can wear it in.

Now if I can only figure out a comfortable way to carry my climbing sticks I should be set. I'm thinking of using some 1" tubular nylon tied as backpack straps.

Questions for you:
1. Where did you get the hardware for the sling, specifically where it connects to the bridge? I though about buying some 5/16" quick links but I was sort of fearful that they would fail. I had some carabineers on hand so I just used them and called it done.
2. Are you planning to sew in the (my words here) 'spreader' for the seat portion? (reference the second picture that I uploaded with the ruler)

I got the carabiners from the sit drag I bought. The three inch webbing feels wide enough that I don't think I need the spreaders. I might change my mind later. I like how small the sling is without them.

I have been getting my hardware from para gear.

Back