• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rest Broke(maybe from saddle?)

Hillclimber

Yesterday evening, I shot at my first deer out of a saddle. I felt the bow string touching the bridge just barely. I shot and missed. I went to knock another arrow and saw my rest looking like this. Not sure if I had side tension or there were other variables. Anybody ever had this?B0FF48F1-E4BD-4AC4-84E9-AD675BF88623.pngB0FF48F1-E4BD-4AC4-84E9-AD675BF88623.png

Is that how it was after the shot or did you cock it back into the up position?

I'm not sure that the string touching the bridge would cause the forks to break like that. I have had a rest break because it didn't drop. After troubleshooting, found that I had quite a bit of string stretch, which threw my bow & the rest out of time / tune. It was a 3 year old string with literally thousands of shots. I knew it was ready to be changed, I just procrastinated a little long. Luckily it failed middle of summer shooting at a woodchuck.

Either way a lost deer is a lost deer, whether the rest fails (doesn't drop) or the rest fails (makes noise, rips off fletching.) Pick your poison. I much prefer the Ripcord, and yes, I've put multiple thousands of shots through both.

I would ask the same question that the first responder (skell) did - is that exactly how the bow was after the shot, or did you cock the rest up again? As is now, it appears as though the rest never "dropped away" and the arrow blew through the rest in the raised position and the veins broke the rest off... if you cocked the rest afterwards in an attempt to figure out what happened, then I am not sure.

Either way a lost deer is a lost deer, whether the rest fails (doesn't drop) or the rest fails (makes noise, rips off fletching.) Pick your poison. I much prefer the Ripcord, and yes, I've put multiple thousands of shots through both.
I agree with you... But also pointing out the more moving stuff the more chance for problems..... Rather miss the shot and be able to keep shooting. I've not had any issues with vanes.... But since shooting feathers, yes, the biscuit is hard on feathers. 0 helical fletch with feathers throu a biscuit prolongs feather life

I agree with you... But also pointing out the more moving stuff the more chance for problems..... Rather miss the shot and be able to keep shooting. I've not had any issues with vanes.... But since shooting feathers, yes, the biscuit is hard on feathers. 0 helical fletch with feathers throu a biscuit prolongs feather life
Yep, I guess at the end of the day you need to find what works for you. I'm partial to the RipCord, however, I also understand there is a level of risk. Heck, darn near everything on a compound can break. Then again, same could be said for everything we use / carry.

Back to topic, I agree with the others who asked if that was how you found it, or if you re-cocked it. Also, what was the weather like, ie was it raining, freezing rain, snow, snow / rain mix, sunny? Could the mechanism have gotten water inside and frozen?

Not to derail this further to the drop away v WB debate, but...noise should never be an issue with a WB. Carry one w-tip with you and drag it across the WB before nocking an arrow. Enough cotton fibers will be picked up by the bristles on the rest that it will be a dead silent draw and shot. One a tip will last a full season for most people.
Having said that, I have had a Limb Driver fall away rest on my bow for 10 years without a single issue.

Never had that issue....... shot a qad for about 15ish yrs on each new setup. My best guess is if cable driven,rest stayed up & arrow snapped it off ( esp. with a miss if everything else felt right) I’ve heard of them snapping at launch when they hit they shelf but by then it’s out of the way & probably better arrow flight. Plus looks like direction of break lend itself to arrow induced at full upright.....

That was after I recocked the rest. It was pretty cold between 20 and 30. I didn’t notice it having anything wrong, but I’ve beat a lot of brush and hunted a lot of moist weather this year. I used to use a whisker biscuit, but brushes scared off a deer for me and the drop away was accurate. May have to try a qad.

I’m leaning toward what you said bigterp that the arrow hit the shelf. Dang ripcord. It was good to me in October tho. Maybe qad is better or bowtechs rest they have.

I’m leaning toward what you said bigterp that the arrow hit the shelf. Dang ripcord. It was good to me in October tho. Maybe qad is better or bowtechs rest they have.
I went through 2 of the qad hunter. The cheaper one. Upgraded to the qad Hdx and haven't had any issues. It has a lifetime warranty

I much prefer a limbdriver pro v to any cable driven rest. I have thousands of shots across mine with zero issues. Second to that would be the QAD HDX.

Back