• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Retired packs

Cbigbear

What packs have you used & retired/fired? Why did they not make the cut?

I haven't touched my Kelty Cache Hauler in about 7 years but I keep it around because it's a good meat hauler, I figure I'll use it when my kids are older.

Other than that I have a Cabela's fanny pack with removable shoulder straps that I use sparingly anymore. It was the perfect treestand pack but I don't use treestands much anymore.

Other than that I'm not much of a pack collector. Standard shoulder strap packs without suspension are pretty useless (reference junk pile picture above). I haven't owned one since college. My MR popup and MR NICE with a couple different bags handle everything I can throw at them.

Finally retired my 17 year old Bass Pro bag. Camo and basic as it gets. Replaced with early season sling pack and Diablo Dos for late season.

Badlands Silent Reaper bought and sold twice - Really liked it, but liked the Tarahumara from Hill People Gear more. Capacity was the same, but carry comfort is night and day. Any weight and distance on the Badlands pack made the walk in umcomortable. SOLD

Eberlestock Bandit - Bought primarily for the ability to carry predator platform. Sold the Predator then sold the pack. Shoulder straps weren't the most comfortable if carrying anything more than 10-15lbs that's including the weight of the pack. SOLD

Badlands superday - too big and no structure SOLD

ALSP Pursuit - Too big and too overseas manufacturing. Everything from the material to the stitching was disappointing. SOLD

Eberlestock Tailhook - Too big. Too strappy and it was in the end a 5lb fanny pack. Great potential for someone wanting to tote their weapon. Organization was nice. Kind of like an X2 lumbar edition. SOLD

Badland Reactor - Regret selling this one. At the time it was too small. I felt like I needed to haul the sink into the woods.

I have a few in rotation right now that I might retire soon. Just discovered the Hill People Gear and am really digging their kit bags and Tarahumara. They are pleasantly modular, carry well when loaded AND they are made in USA.

That’s a crap ton of packs!!!! Can you give a brief description of why each didn’t fit your needs? Also maybe what would be the holy grail for you?
The x2 is extremely well made, but I dislike the open top style single main compartment, I was carrying sticks until recently and the badlands superday did not carry them well in my opinion, the SJK deadfall 65 is rather large and the material sounds like a paper grocery sack, loud as all get out. The Remington pack is kinda poorly made the first time I put any weight in it the stitching came undone on the bottom strap. I recently bought a mystery ranch divide from Camofire and the quality is great, the material is a little louder than I would like, but I will try it out next season. The badlands sprint pack material is much louder than the superday pack I have. I have tried all different kinds of packs because I hunt different ways. Sometimes I hammock camp when I am hunting so I need a larger pack. The best pack that I have found for carrying all of my smaller items, water bladder, gps, turlet paper, ROS and climbing sticks was a voodoo tactical pack that I slightly modified. Super rugged, not as loud as most packs, many small pockets two larger compartments, and one medium compartment. I have loaded it down with 20# or so and it holds up to some abuse. I can carry 2 lone wolf sticks on each side and they are strapped down tight with no movement. When I get up in the tree, the pack is not so big that it sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl. What can I say????? Im a pack addict. I also test run them and I usually let my buddies take their pick when they need one.

I am developing pack acquisition disorder, I need to stop reading threads about packs, there are always a couple more I want to have around for specific things.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The x2 is extremely well made, but I dislike the open top style single main compartment, I was carrying sticks until recently and the badlands superday did not carry them well in my opinion, the SJK deadfall 65 is rather large and the material sounds like a paper grocery sack, loud as all get out. The Remington pack is kinda poorly made the first time I put any weight in it the stitching came undone on the bottom strap. I recently bought a mystery ranch divide from Camofire and the quality is great, the material is a little louder than I would like, but I will try it out next season. The badlands sprint pack material is much louder than the superday pack I have. I have tried all different kinds of packs because I hunt different ways. Sometimes I hammock camp when I am hunting so I need a larger pack. The best pack that I have found for carrying all of my smaller items, water bladder, gps, turlet paper, ROS and climbing sticks was a voodoo tactical pack that I slightly modified. Super rugged, not as loud as most packs, many small pockets two larger compartments, and one medium compartment. I have loaded it down with 20# or so and it holds up to some abuse. I can carry 2 lone wolf sticks on each side and they are strapped down tight with no movement. When I get up in the tree, the pack is not so big that it sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl. What can I say????? Im a pack addict. I also test run them and I usually let my buddies take their pick when they need one.
I was really disappointed with how loud my X2 is once the temp drops below 30 degrees. Love it when its warmer, but the things sounds like a my 2 year old trying to get a large bag of Doritoes open at 5AM when the temp drops.

I had a fellow saddle hunter member reach out to me about the deadfall 65. It was cold in my garage when i was talking to him. (Texas cold 40 degrees) and the SJK deadfall was so LOUD i decided to use it for overnight mountain trips. Just to haul in gear and haul out meat.

Back