• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Retired the saddle for this season

WCork

Now that's it's 30 degrees on the warmer days here in Indiana, I think my saddle hunting is done for the year. I need to be able to hunt in my Heater Body Suit, so it's hang ons and climbers from here on out. Still have yet to kill a deer from the saddle but I'm hoping next year will be the year. Passed on a few small bucks in the saddle and I definitely think the saddle hunting is my preferred style! For those sticking it out in their saddle in the cold temps...good luck! Anyone else done saddle hunting because of the cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temps have been rough in MIchigan too. I more or less retire from bow hunting after rifle opener up here as we have 2 weeks i rifle season followed up by two weeks of muzzleloading, and then 2 weeks of late archery.

I tell yah, it's really nice to be out of the wind and in a box blind with a buddy heater when those temps dip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the HIGHS are only going to be in the low 30s, I don't saddle hunt. The Heater Suit is the only way to hunt in those temps! Climbing stand and the HBS.

I understand guys. Hunting in the extreme cold is tough however you do it! I have developed a system with my cabelas stand hunter extreme coveralls and the last 2 winters I have been saddle hunting in January down to almost 0 degrees. I just love it! :D

redsquirrel said:
I understand guys. Hunting in the extreme cold is tough however you do it! I have developed a system with my cabelas stand hunter extreme coveralls and the last 2 winters I have been saddle hunting in January down to almost 0 degrees. I just love it! :D

Scott,

What's the system you developed to hunt late season in the saddle?

I sold my other stand to buy the saddle, so I'd love to know.

Dave

We had a similar discussion in another thread: http://www.saddlehunter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43&p=747&hilit=stand+hunter+extreme#p747

Below is what I posted. I forgot to mention that I will use footwarmers under my feet too.

As nice as the heater body suits and iwom's look I can't imagine using them with a saddle either. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used one successfully.

I'm sure extreme cold is different for different areas of the county, but for me it is between 0-20 F. I have used my system to hunt numerous times in the past couple years in these temps and it works for me.

I have the cabelas extreme stand hunter coveralls. I think they are awesome. I pack them in and put them on at the bottom of my tree. Under that I wear 1 light layer of scentlok, a fleece vest, a layer of cabelas polarfleece, a layer of first lite merino wool and an under armour base layer that wicks. For my feet i have l.l. bean pac boots and I wear a moisture wicking sock under a pair of good merino wool socks. Depending how cold it is i put either 1 set of toe warmers on or if its really cold i sandwich my toes between them. I always use a hand muff if it is cold at all because i wear light gloves, but the stand hunter coveralls come with one that attaches to it. I throw 2 packs of handwarmers in there and I'm good to go. Again depending on how cold it is i wear something over my face, either just a lighter camo cover or if its really cold a fleece baklava. On my head either a regular hat with the hood pulled over or a wool hat.

I used to freeze my butt off out there all the time, but this system has allowed me to be able to stay on stand for full days in the cold. With the coveralls I always draw my bow when I get in the tree to make sure I don't hit them when I draw back, sometimes I have to adjust or strap it out of the way.

I should note that our winter bow season starts January 1st and runs through January or into February in some spots. About 4 years ago I started seriously hunting this time of year and working on my cold weather system. I have taken 4 does with my bow over the past 3 years during this season (and if you live in NJ you know what an accomplishment that is at this time of year!)

Scott,

Thanks for the "winter system". Hopefully I'll be able to get out again. I'm looking into buying some of the First Lite gear, how do you like it?

Thanks again,
Dave

My first lite layers are pretty light but I like them a lot. I think they do a good job for how light they are. I should add that I think the good quality coveralls are the most important part of the system. It's 15 out right now and I dont have everything else under them, just a few layers and I'm fine and plan on staying all day. The coveralls are expensive but I waited for a sale and they are worth it to me.

Back