• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Return saddle owner and have a few ?'s

WCork

So glad I found this site! Awesome place for saddle hunters to get together and share ideas!

That said...I used to hunt out of a treesaddle 3 years ago. Sold the saddle and regretted it ever since. Just picked up an older TS9 Saddle for $100 shipped :D . The saddle wasn't used much but was stored in a barn so it shows some wear and needs a good cleaning.

First question is...whats a good way to clean a saddle? Machine wash in cold and hang dry outside?

Second...is there a place where I can get replacement buckles and such? The ones I have now are pretty rusted.

Lastly...does anyone have a link to a rope/prussic setup I could buy to replace the standard (around the tree) strap?

Thanks for the help and looking forward to learning a lot from you guys!

I just bought a TS9 used and it was in excellent condition. Seller even had it in original packaging with inserts + dvd! Did my first hunt in it yesterday too. I definitely still have some adjusting to do, but it wasn't bad all things considered.

That being said I was looking at where to find replacement parts if need be. New Tribe sells a tree/strap + linemans belt for about $40 each that I believe are fully compatible with a trophyline treesaddle. Or other members have made their own treestrap with webbing and caribiners. Here are the links to the New Tribe gear.

New Tribe Tree Strap - $39 for 6ft (+$5 for 12ft length)
http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=150

New Tribe Linemans Belt - $39
http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=149

Welcome to the site!, and back to saddle hunting! :D

For cleaning the saddle I would probably just dip it in some cold soapy water and scrub it down and then air dry.

So far for replacement hardware I have been getting some stuff from: http://www.paragear.com/. I got some webbing and hardware to make my custom tree strap from that site. There may be a better one out there but that is what I have found so far. Climbing carabiners can be bought online or at REI.

If you want something already made, the new tribe link that d_rek posted is probably your best bet. If you hunt some larger trees make sure you order the 12 foot tree strap. You can see the thread where I made my custom tree strap out of webbing like the tree saddle strap while some others have made custom straps out of rope.

Hopefully this helps! Shoot us any more questions you have!

d_rek said:
I just bought a TS9 used and it was in excellent condition. Seller even had it in original packaging with inserts + dvd! Did my first hunt in it yesterday too. I definitely still have some adjusting to do, but it wasn't bad all things considered.

That being said I was looking at where to find replacement parts if need be. New Tribe sells a tree/strap + linemans belt for about $40 each that I believe are fully compatible with a trophyline treesaddle. Or other members have made their own treestrap with webbing and caribiners. Here are the links to the New Tribe gear.

New Tribe Tree Strap - $39 for 6ft (+$5 for 12ft length)
http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=150

New Tribe Linemans Belt - $39
http://newtribe.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=149

Thanks d_rek! Sounds like mine isn't in the condition yours is in but I'm happy with it. It needs a cleaning badly! Ran it through the washing machine with baking soda and cold water and still smells like a horse! I think I'm going to scrub it with a brush, cold water, and some dove unscented soap tomorrow and see how that goes.

I appreciate the links to those straps! They look exactly like what I need. My TS9 came with all of the straps, but is missing the carabineer for the linemans belt. I think I'm going to try to find a good carabineer and get some new buckles and clips that redsquirrel posted about to replace my rusty buckles. Looking forward to getting back in the saddle (pun intended). Good luck everyone this season!

redsquirrel said:
Welcome to the site!, and back to saddle hunting! :D

For cleaning the saddle I would probably just dip it in some cold soapy water and scrub it down and then air dry.

So far for replacement hardware I have been getting some stuff from: http://www.paragear.com/. I got some webbing and hardware to make my custom tree strap from that site. There may be a better one out there but that is what I have found so far. Climbing carabiners can be bought online or at REI.

If you want something already made, the new tribe link that d_rek posted is probably your best bet. If you hunt some larger trees make sure you order the 12 foot tree strap. You can see the thread where I made my custom tree strap out of webbing like the tree saddle strap while some others have made custom straps out of rope.

Hopefully this helps! Shoot us any more questions you have!

Thanks for your input! Those links are what I'm going to go with since my hardware needs it badly. Also going to try the cleaning method you posted and see if I can't scrub the horse/barn smell out of this neoprene.

Good luck getting it clean. If you have access to an ozone machine for cleaning (not ozonics, that is a gimmick, ), they work great for getting smells out of things. I have been using one in a sealed container to clean my hunting gear a couple times a week.

If you need a carabiner I bought this one on amazon and it is really light and good. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5 ... UTF8&psc=1

Speaking of ozone. I have a commercial grade machine. I treat my and as many others clothing as I can in my van at night. Then in the morning the clothes are ready to go and any odours inside my van have been wiped out for the drive. It's important you use the machine away from people or animals. Ozone is very powerful and will attack the soft tissue of your eyes and lungs.
Over time it will also degrade soft rubber, foam, and elastic. Things like elastic cuffs or suspenders will eventually be affected, even the foam around the door of your car is vulnerable, but for the limited exposure I doubt you would ever notice a difference.

The temps are cool in the fall and this makes it difficult for ozone to break down and it could last for several hours in cold temps. I always wear a P100 rated carbon filter mask when using Ozone. When done, I open the doors of my van to clear it out, otherwise it could still be there in the morning.
Your clothes will still smell like ozone in the morning. If you smell ozone while treating, you are putting yourself at risk. The O3 is still active.
Stop the treatment and move it to another location. Ozone works but use it with caution.
As far as the machine that goes into the tree or ground blind? Again, if you can smell it when it's being produced, it's too much exposure. You would have to stay upwind in a tree and I don't think u would ever sit in an enclosed blind with one running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I scrubbed it today and ran it through another cold cycle with baking soda and it still has an odor to it. Next thing I'm going to do is wash it in some Atsko Sport Wash, hang dry it outside, and store it in an airtight bag with some fresh earth wafers and see how that goes.

I appreciate the info on the ozone idea. I really know nothing about it and don't know how I'd go about getting one. If my options above don't get the smell out of it then I'm just going to hunt out of it anyway. I almost always play the wind when I hunt and if they smell me then so be it.

fawnzy said:
Speaking of ozone. I have a commercial grade machine. I treat my and as many others clothing as I can in my van at night. Then in the morning the clothes are ready to go and any odours inside my van have been wiped out for the drive. It's important you use the machine away from people or animals. Ozone is very powerful and will attack the soft tissue of your eyes and lungs.
Over time it will also degrade soft rubber, foam, and elastic. Things like elastic cuffs or suspenders will eventually be affected, even the foam around the door of your car is vulnerable, but for the limited exposure I doubt you would ever notice a difference.

The temps are cool in the fall and this makes it difficult for ozone to break down and it could last for several hours in cold temps. I always wear a P100 rated carbon filter mask when using Ozone. When done, I open the doors of my van to clear it out, otherwise it could still be there in the morning.
Your clothes will still smell like ozone in the morning. If you smell ozone while treating, you are putting yourself at risk. The O3 is still active.
Stop the treatment and move it to another location. Ozone works but use it with caution.
As far as the machine that goes into the tree or ground blind? Again, if you can smell it when it's being produced, it's too much exposure. You would have to stay upwind in a tree and I don't think u would ever sit in an enclosed blind with one running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a cheap one that was made for hunters and keyword is cheap. It never worked as expected. I've been looking for a log6 but I guess they went out of business so this year I bought a unit on amazon for about 65 dollars, which is still much cheaper than the commercial units. The limitation is that it can only run for 20 minutes at a time but it is working great. I am careful about using it but I like your carbon filter mask idea to be safe. I have an airtight storage container that I ran the tubing into so I load my stuff into that and let it go. I have also done my truck overnight a few times and then aired it out pretty good. I think with the machine in the tree that the ozone disperses too quickly for it to be effective.

To stay on topic in this thread I'm going to start another thread in scent control for ozone.

Back