• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Revisting Going Bridgeless

on short hunts (less than 3 hours), I frequently use only a lineman's belt with a T screw on backside at mid chest height.

'Bout scared me to death when you called your dog! Listening at work with the headphones in!

Great video though. I played around with something similar at one point when I had a predator still. I was trying to balance out the weight issue it presented. An ultra minimalist "saddle" (really a deluxe linemans belt) was a cool concept, but not comfortable for me over the long term.

I've also thought about replacing the buckle on my kestrel with a d-ring cobra like found on a riggers belt. It would give you an interesting second hookup point. Might be something to play with.

Also, what about a fanny pack with heavy duty 2" webbing and a d-ring cobra? A lot if butt bags have a wide, padded area that might actually be pretty comfortable to lean back on. And it could hold all your gear!

Also, what about a fanny pack with heavy duty 2" webbing and a d-ring cobra? A lot if butt bags have a wide, padded area that might actually be pretty comfortable to lean back on. And it could hold all your gear!
I also have a kidney pad from an Alice pack that I may try to incorporate into the back of the RCH for padding.

Coming from a Rock climbing background, and the fact this this is similar to how I've always hooked up with a treestand these ideas intrigue me. I"ve often thought of doing this and then throwing a yates belay seat or fish rumpsak in my pack to add to comfort on long sits. Sure does make a lightweight and simple setup...

Two biggest pluses - one you can actually walk around a tree easily if you need, second, bridge is out of the way.

I've also thought about replacing the buckle on my kestrel with a d-ring cobra like found on a riggers belt. It would give you an interesting second hookup point. Might be something to play with.

I'm going to do this on the flex.

Isn't that similar to the Lone Wolf Custom gear Kuhnert ambush?

Around 8 minute mark

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Isn't that similar to the Lone Wolf Custom gear Kuhnert ambush?

Around 8 minute mark

I would say that it is. Hookup is a bit different, like the padding on the belt.

Yup. I imagine there's a difference in the amount if pinch you'd feel in both circumstances.
yup, gotta remember that the belay loop in a higher end harness(where the loop in vertical, not like a BD bod, etc. with a horizontal loop) it passes through a sectino of the leg loops as well, distributing pressure a little. depending on the angle the anchor is coming from.

The kuhnert still has a bridge. Here hes talking being anchored via 1 rope directly to a belay loop.
I was thinking of a hybrid type system between the back band and the rock climbing harness. (I would imagine that would be close to their final product). Nothing on their website yet though.

You could make something like this completely bridge less by having a cobra buckle with a d-ring to attach to the back band. I would still want leg support in case of a fall or slipping off the platform.

Gotcha. At that point in order to keep thins simplier I"d just get a big wall harness. Sometihing like a misty mountain titan, or metolious waldo. They're both built wiht HUGE waste bands with a little back support, but still designed with climbing mobility and weight in mind.

Gotcha. At that point in order to keep thins simplier I"d just get a big wall harness. Sometihing like a misty mountain titan, or metolious waldo. They're both built wiht HUGE waste bands with a little back support, but still designed with climbing mobility and weight in mind.
I like all the gear loops on the misty mountain titan

Back