• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rex walking foot machine Questions

Forester82

I have Rex walking foot machine and the presser foot has stopped walking any suggestions.

Thanks

I am not familiar with the Rex brand, but usually a machine is locked up due to old oil gumming things up or a thread wrapped around something.

Add heat from a heat gun/hair dryer to where you suspect things are locked up (bobbin area?). Then add sewing machine oij or maybe even a penetrating oil such as Kroil. You may have to wait for every thing to soak in and work. It may take several sessions/days.. I currently am working on a recently acquired machine that is locked up and it is frustrating.

As far as the wrapped thread, find and clean out starting in the bobbin area. Do you have a manual? Good luck.

J3general thanks for responding after taking the covers off I found that the presser foot bar was broke had a bad spot weld. I have replaced the bar with one from sailrite.

Now I'm trying to adjust it so the walking feet work properly. Do you know a good source for repair manuals

Thanks

What you are wanting to do is set the timing of your machine. For Singer home sewing machines, the repair manuals are called "Adjusters' Manuals." They are found mainly on ebay. If Rex is still made, you should contact them. IMO, the documentation for industrials is generally better than non-Singer home machines but it is heavily dependent on the mfr.

There are general principles that pertain to timing a sm that are not so manufacturer dependent, i.e., the hook passes just above the needle eye as the needle starts to move up from its low point in its stroke. On some Singer needle bars there are reference marks that that help you install the needle bar at the correct height for proper timing. I doubt you have those marks on a generic(?) needle bar you bought from Sailrite. If you watch some youtube videos on setting the sm's timing, I think you will understand the general principles of timing and can apply them to your machines.

I hope my comments have been helpful. I am lucky to live in a town (High Point, NC) that has two very good sewing machine repair shops that see a lot of industrial sm's because of our manufacturing base. My former company (school bus manufacturer) sewed some 250,000 school bus seat covers EVERY year for example. We still have a bunch of upholstered goods furniture manufacturing in town that has not moved to China. So if I get stuck, I have good repair resources. Good luck, let me know if I can help.

Back