• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ribs

That looks excellent! I’ve tried it and they always turn out tough.

I’d bet if you take them from there and stick them in a crock pot they’d be fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just had them. Closer to the texture of jerky but man, they came out great. That was a winner. I smoked them at 160 degrees for five hours, squirting them with apple juice often. Then hit with barbecue sauce and apple cider mixture, cranked the smoker to 300 degrees for 45 minutes. I will be doing that again.

I’ve gravitated to a dry rub, wrapping ribs in 3 layers of aluminum foil, refrigerate overnight. Fire the grill up, 30 min. one side, flip, 30 more other side. Unwrap, throw back on grill 15-20 min. and dab with some sauce. Most tender, moist I’ve ever cooked.

I trimmed off as much fat as possible. Then I used the lowest heat possible to try to cook off the rest. It worked well.

I don't know what you did right and I did wrong but the one time I tried them the tallow coated the inside of my mouth and was horrible.
They look awesome by the way!

Put the ribs in the crockpot in the morning then when you come home in the afternoon pull them out, pat them dry, apply rub and very gently place on your grill.

@dalton916 that is a good idea as well. I use a pressure cooker to make instant barbecue ribs quite often. I can whip them up in an hour after work. With the pressure cooker, the fat literally liquefies and disappears off the meat in about 25 minutes. Then I pull them out, dry them a bit, hit it with rub and a bit of sauce and then onto the grill. Will have to try that method as well and see if I like it better than my version above; although it was good, more like jerky, but really good :)

Anything to extend the enjoyment of the hunt is great. Glad you enjoyed them. I’ve often considered leaving a section of backstraps on the ribs and doing a standing rib roast.

I’ve gravitated to a dry rub, wrapping ribs in 3 layers of aluminum foil, refrigerate overnight. Fire the grill up, 30 min. one side, flip, 30 more other side. Unwrap, throw back on grill 15-20 min. and dab with some sauce. Most tender, moist I’ve ever cooked.

Deer ribs?

Save the ribs , they are some of the best meat once you get them rite.

Only takes about an hour and thirty to do with a pressure pot
Get the big chunks of tallow off the meat the small bits will cook off, Saw them into small sections, Stick em in the pot of broth and let them go . Pull out and season , then brown on a cast iron or grill ( use bacon fat) for more flavor . Add sauce of your choosing and done! Best ribs ever, no mouth wax, so tender the bones slide right on out.IMG_5432.PNGIMG_5432.PNGIMG_5433.PNG

You can also start in oil in a pressure cooker and finish on the grill.

Anything to extend the enjoyment of the hunt is great. Glad you enjoyed them. I’ve often considered leaving a section of backstraps on the ribs and doing a standing rib roast.
I did that with a doe I processed Thursday night. Looking forward to it.

And we smoked up some venison ribs last summer for the first time. Turned out great and everyone loved em. Think we just did a dry rub and several hours at 225.

Back