• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ridge Runner Platform

Jason Wandling

I’m going to order a platform soon and I think I’ve decided on the ridge runner. I like the way it sticks out on the side better than the predator. I’m not a fan of the cam over system but it’s easy I’m sure. Is there any negatives to this platform? I try to do as much research as I can before purchasing anything

I have the podium from out on a limb and love it. The cam system does take some practice but when done right it is rock solid. Don't think you will regret it.

No real negatives, just be sure to pull down on the tree before you cam it over, not up like a WE step and it is solid. The Predator is a smaller package to carry, but has less foot space.

Love mine, only complaints I’ve seen is it’s a little heavier than other platforms. But it is for sure a sturdy platform!

I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. I went out tonight and had a hunt and I found it better than the primal steps I was using. Much more foot room than the three steps I was using but 5-6 times the price. That said the platform fits in my Tenzing TX15 pack with my saddle and pad that I use for my knees. I would highly recommend it so far, I think a possible improvement on the way the straps secure to the platform would be to do away with the post and fashion some type of hook system. I am sure with more use I’ll get the mounting to the tree down a bit better. With the platform saddle sticks and pad all on my pack the total package is 20lbs and very compact compared to lugging around a stand and sticks.

I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. I went out tonight and had a hunt and I found it better than the primal steps I was using. Much more foot room than the three steps I was using but 5-6 times the price. That said the platform fits in my Tenzing TX15 pack with my saddle and pad that I use for my knees. I would highly recommend it so far, I think a possible improvement on the way the straps secure to the platform would be to do away with the post and fashion some type of hook system. I am sure with more use I’ll get the mounting to the tree down a bit better. With the platform saddle sticks and pad all on my pack the total package is 20lbs and very compact compared to lugging around a stand and sticks.

I zip tie one end of the cam strap so it is permanently attached to my ridge runner. It helps a lot when attaching the ridge runner to the tree.

It’s a pretty good platform. I have been in mine about 6 times and have no complaints. The weight is not a factor for me. I don’t see why the cam over is an issue. It’s solid once set and much more room than the Predator.

I have a podium and like it. As for camming over, I’ve been using it since September, at least 20 sits, and experienced my first “user-generated” small issue yesterday. After camming, setting up my tether and saddle, I stepped on the platform and noticed a gap between the teeth towards the top of the cam and the tree. Since I still had my linesmen belt on and my saddle was set up, I felt relatively safe and decided to find out if the platform was good, I tested it out, standing on it and applying side-pressure and it didn’t move. The teeth towards the bottom of the cam looked solid and I soon realized how the ridges in the tree bark factored into the set-up: the bottom teeth were in a ridge valley and into the tree while the middle part was riding a ridge top and the top teeth were over a valley but not touching the tree - hence the gap. I should have noticed this while setting up the platform. The bark was soft, so I decided to apply pressure on top of the cam by stepping on it, the platform dug in, moved about ¼” and was seated flush into the tree. When I climbed down and took the strap off the platform just hung there against the tree. I imagine no matter what type of cam system we are using, it’s good to pay attention to the type of tree you’re setting up.

I zip tie one end of the cam strap so it is permanently attached to my ridge runner. It helps a lot when attaching the ridge runner to the tree.
I did this on the side without the buckle and it works like a charm. Thank you for the great tip.

I started with the Predator and ended with the Ridge Runner. I still have both but may never use the predator again. I have had zero issues with camming over. Seems like you would almost have to try and screw it up. Very solid. I do think they are running three weeks out now, instead of two.

Back