• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ridge Runner XL

I thought there would have been some chatter about it, but it’s been pretty much mum.

There is this YouTube video that gives a sense of the thing:

Reviews on OOAL say it sets even better than the regular RR due to the lengthened mounting plate.

Does anyone even own the ridge runner XL? I’d take feedback at this point. Mainly on packability.

I’ve looked into Packs that you could slide Ridge Runners into and it’s just hard to find anything ideal due to width. Some of the lightweight frame packs with easy access to the shelf between frame and bag seem to be the best option for my hunting situation. Maybe some guys running the platforms have better advice.

I‘d like a day pack with a quality suspension, a pocket against the front (side towards your back) to slide a platform into, a single main pouch for my clothing, a top lid pocket or bottom pouch for small essentials, and side straps for sticks. A buttstock rifle caddy attachment on each side would be nice to cradle sticks from below.

I don‘t sew, and I haven’t found such a bag, so I’m out of luck it seems.

Last edited:
10/4. Thanks for the info. I’m currently running a MR pop up 18 but just trying to find a way to pack my sticks on top of a platform between the standoffs. It’s a same this platform hasn’t seen more attention. I guess buying one may be my best option.

10/4. Thanks for the info. I’m currently running a MR pop up 18 but just trying to find a way to pack my sticks on top of a platform between the standoffs. It’s a same this platform hasn’t seen more attention. I guess buying one may be my best option.

I think it’s because the Mission has such a following in this size class, that there isn’t more attention, despite the relative success of the RR.

For packing, the profile of the RRXL provides an advantage if mated to the right system, over the other XL platforms, IMO.

Last edited:
I'm not knocking the Ridge Runner XL, but it's not for me. I use a very low percentage of the platform size. Packability, strapped onto the back of my Badlands 2200, wasn't bad, but I won't sacrifice weight and packability if I don't use it... Advantage goes to the Ridge Runner/Battlement or Scout platforms for me.

I'm not knocking the Ridge Runner XL, but it's not for me. I use a very low percentage of the platform size. Packability, strapped onto the back of my Badlands 2200, wasn't bad, but I won't sacrifice weight and packability if I don't use it... Advantage goes to the Ridge Runner/Battlement or Scout platforms for me.

Thanks for the post. I appreciate you responding across-threads to my request from the battlement thread.

I agree, if you don’t use the real estate it’s wasted weight and bulk.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t use the space. I did a crude sketch using RR and XL specs the other day, stood on them, and liked them both. Honestly, I preferred the 16” width of the RR. I think it’s perfect for my feet. But, I could see standing/leaning sideways on the rrXL as a nice change of scenery and recognize the advantage of the additional on-stand mobility of the larger platform.

I think I can handle the extra 1-1.5lbs of the XL in exchange for more real estate, but I’m not loving the bulk. I would prefer to pack my platform in a bag close to my back, and it seems there are no good packs wide enough to carry an XL platform of any manufacture this way. There are decent options for transporting the RR though.

Also, I like the idea of platform climbing with the RR. Thanks Hunter 260 for making the video. I know guys are doing this with modded Mission platforms but don’t see this as an option for the rrXL.

I have a LWCG .5 for hunting hybrid, and love it. But, to the credit of these bigger XL platforms, they seem to offer similar usable foot space, given the interference of cables on the .5. Granted the .5 provides more edge profile and gets you further away from the tree, which can be a pro and con of it.

Anyway, here are a few snaps from my mock up.

I’ll be experimenting with some options before next season, for the fun of it, and will see where it takes me. I think I may have to give these a proper look.09C1B626-3513-41AE-AB5F-117DC8FFEA4D.pngA8AF2D51-2DEF-40A1-BA18-F7D779DFF6E6.png844ED96A-75D6-43CE-922A-099498E4D19C.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I appreciate you responding across-threads to my request from the battlement thread.

I agree, if you don’t use the real estate it’s wasted weight and bulk.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t use the space. I did a crude sketch using RR and XL specs the other day, stood on them, and liked them both. Honestly, I preferred the 16” width of the RR. I think it’s perfect for my feet. But, I could see standing/leaning sideways on the rrXL as a nice change of scenery and recognize the advantage of the additional on-stand mobility of the larger platform.

I think I can handle the extra 1-1.5lbs of the XL in exchange for more real estate, but I’m not loving the bulk. I would prefer to pack my platform in a bag close to my back, and it seems there are no good packs wide enough to carry an XL platform of any manufacture this way. There are decent options for transporting the RR though.

Also, I like the idea of platform climbing with the RR. Thanks Hunter 260 for making the video. I know guys are doing this with modded Mission platforms but don’t see this as an option for the rrXL.

I have a LWCG .5 for hunting hybrid, and love it. But, to the credit of these bigger XL platforms, they seem to offer similar usable foot space, given the interference of cables on the .5. Granted the .5 provides more edge profile and gets you further away from the tree, which can be a pro and con of it.

Anyway, here are a few snaps from my mock up.

I’ll be experimenting with some options before next season, for the fun of it, and will see where it takes me. I think I may have to give these a proper look.View attachment 43144View attachment 43146View attachment 43147
I’m honestly more interested in depth than width at this point. I ran a Windwalker for a few hangs this season and loved getting farther away from the tree when needed.

I’m honestly more interested in depth than width at this point. I ran a Windwalker for a few hangs this season and loved getting farther away from the tree when needed.

I was just saying that 16” is the perfect width for me to have a completely relaxed stance.

I have the .5 so I get what you’re saying; I find it to be awesome as a hybrid setup. Light enough, platform enough for all the shots, knee rest, room to stand and take weight off the saddle when you want, seat if you ever want to use it. For all day hunts on public, it’s often going to be my best option.

I’m interested in a less bulky platform for future half day hunts in new areas, but I’m not interested in micro platforms. The rrXL is a pretty nice size and shape. I’m greatly looking forward to both of Catalyst’s offerings this year too.

I found a way to pack the RRXL. I bought a Canvas laundry bag and than just cut it. I used an old camo towel and liquid thread and glued it up. made my own bag for it in essence. I put this on my pack and strap down and its nice and quiet. Shawn

I found a way to pack the RRXL. I bought a Canvas laundry bag and than just cut it. I used an old camo towel and liquid thread and glued it up. made my own bag for it in essence. I put this on my pack and strap down and its nice and quiet. Shawn

Yeah, seems like you have to have something made or make something if you want something decent.

I was looking at some ski boot bags that would theoretically fit the thing, and hold my outerwear pretty well. Dakine I recall had some of them. Not really the materials I would prefer, nor did any I looked at have a good waist belt.

If I committed to this I’d have something made. Canvas is quiet, should work out well enough for you.

I glued the camo to it so it is very quiet and straps to pack nicely! Shawn

LWCG specs this at 14x16x8. Probably just a bit too small for the XL though. Surprised I haven’t heard much of it.

Back