• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rifle scope recommendations

Mschmeiske

SH Member
I’m looking to get a scope for my .308 and I was curious if anyone had some recommendations on magnification and brand/models

Most shots would be under 200yrds and maybe the occasionally 300yrd shot, but not likely.

I was hoping to stay around $300, but could push it up to $500 if it’s truly worth it. I’m more of a buy once kind of guy anyway.

I’m looking to get a scope for my .308 and I was curious if anyone had some recommendations on magnification and brand/models

Most shots would be under 200yrds and maybe the occasionally 300yrd shot, but not likely.

I was hoping to stay around $300, but could push it up to $500 if it’s truly worth it. I’m more of a buy once kind of guy anyway.
I have a tikka t3 hunter with a leoupold vxr multidot. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Zeiss conquest not the terra 3-9-40 usually bout 300ish used or can find a zeiss 3-15-44 for around 4 or 450. I got 4 of em. Also can find swaro z3 for around 500$ used at times too. 24hrcampfire.com classifieds is the cats meow for saving you money on used firearm stuff guns too. Check it out. Leupold.vx 5 and 6 is good glass but higher than your price range. Look the meopta meostar lineups very good reviews on that glass.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Zeiss conquest not the terra 3-9-40 usually bout 300ish used or can find a zeiss 3-15-44 for around 4 or 450. I got 4 of em. Also can find swaro z3 for around 500$ used at times too. 24hrcampfire.com classifieds is the cats meow for saving you money on used firearm stuff guns too. Check it out. Leupold.vx 5 and 6 is good glass but higher than your price range. Look the meopta meostar lineups very good reviews on that glass.

I have a conquest on the tikka. great scope.

I will say i have put 2 of my zeiss conquest scope through a hard life. By accidents of course but night time these steep mtns and bringing deer out ive slid off near straight drops 40-50' into blow down uprooted trees slid off a rock ledge into a 2' deep branch. Hot scope on a rock when landed on my back. Shot the gun the next day and it wasn't off at all. Of course good rings bases matter but these.scooes are tough. I stand by them.

I have a swaro z3 new ive never hunted with mounted on my 22 250. Never been out the house or looked at a targe. I always us my browning 6.5 with a zeiss on it or my 222 with a zeiss on it and my smokeless muzz has zeiss on it too.

I csn assure you thenzeiss will track perfectly too when adjusting. Thsts the conquest line though. Not the newer cheap jap made terra

I have heard great things about the leopold vx series. As my eyes get older, i have had to balance different scopes for different things. weaver 6x38 for weight reduction (10 ounces), nikon monarch for low light and being able to count points on a rack (each one has to be one inch, 3 on one side). You know how hard that is at distance? vortex for an inexpensive but bright scope. I always choose AO for the expensive scopes. Adds weight, but helps. If you can find something like the springfield armory scope built for 308 specifically. Drop is calibrated for the 308. I prefer mil dot reticle.

Can't say enough good things about the VX-R series by Leupold. I have 4 of them. My older eyes love that little red dot to help in low light conditions. The glass on these scopes are VXII level, so not the best, but many a hunt I have to force myself to leave the woods at dark because I can still easily see into the dusk when shooting hours have expired for the day.
Also, I've had a couple of them several years now with no issues, and since I've actually warranted scopes with Leupold in the past, and KNOW their customer service is beyond excellent, I have no worries and all the faith in the world in them.

How much magnification would you recommend for 300yards and under?
I was smacking 10” plates at 175 yards with my AR last summer, so I feel it shouldmy be too hard to do with a scope, but the more accurate the better. The red dot really started to cover the plate up at that distance.

I was smacking 10” plates at 175 yards with my AR last summer, so I feel it shouldmy be too hard to do with a scope, but the more accurate the better. The red dot really started to cover the plate up at that distance.
With a 308 I think I’d like a 4-12. For hunting and shots under 200 keep it turned down about 8 power but one day you might decide to try and shoot 5-600 yards and the 12 is really nice

Better to buy little more magnification in the begging to have incase. Rather have it and not need it than need and not have

With a 308 I think I’d like a 4-12. For hunting and shots under 200 keep it turned down about 8 power but one day you might decide to try and shoot 5-600 yards and the 12 is really nice
I have to agree with the 4-12 especially on an AR platform the eye relief can get a little tricky over that. I would also get it in 1st focal plane.

I have a Meopta Meostar R2 on my custom 6.5x55 Swede. It’s a good bit above the budget you listed but the glass is unbelievable. Far and away better than any of the 5 mid priced leupolds I have. Like Bling said you can get a used high end for the price of a new mid range and generally speaking people that can afford those high end scopes don’t abuse them

Honestly there are quite a few great companies new and old with outstanding, No Bull warranties. Vortex is fantastic. Leupold are also great. Riton is a newer company in Arizona. Veteran owned with no questions asked warranty. I have a 2 Riton’s that rival my Leupold and Vortex glass. As far as 308... a 4-12 or 4-16 is not overkill. Very good range of magnification

Honestly there are quite a few great companies new and old with outstanding, No Bull warranties. Vortex is fantastic. Leupold are also great. Riton is a newer company in Arizona. Veteran owned with no questions asked warranty. I have a 2 Riton’s that rival my Leupold and Vortex glass. As far as 308... a 4-12 or 4-16 is not overkill. Very good range of magnification
Never heard riton I look them up

Back