• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ring of steps help!

Zane Sowder

I've got a ring of steps that Trophyline sold they are stock with the original strap that came with them with the cinch buckle how in the world do I get these things tight on the tree and keep them from sliding down no matter what I try they slide down the whole time I'm tethered in and standing on them someone has to know a trick or something! Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Not sure what buckle they used so I can't help you. I've never seen that setup before?

This is it fellas
293846447ce5d0eaa1529c4f2b00aaa4.jpg

You'll have to get you a ratchet strap and get it very tight that what I do I have the silent approach steps

The first step of this set up is sewed in from the factory I really didn't want to have to cut it there's has to be a way to cinch this strap tight

Buy a ratchet strap with a hook side and just swap it on to the existing strapDF3D3C73-E6C7-4C16-BA43-A4F4139C657D.jpeg

I bought a small ratchet strap with a rubberized handle (for noise). I cut off the strap that was attached to it (see the pic). Then took the original steps strap and threaded it though the ratchet. Then I just attach the hook of the step strap where I cut this strap off.

I did have to slightly modify the step strap hook to fit well on the ratchet.
e22ae1b580a5b81d27f1c374baa2a23e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a small ratchet strap with a rubberized handle (for noise). I cut off the strap that was attached to it (see the pic). Then took the original steps strap and threaded it though the ratchet. Then I just attach the hook of the step strap where I cut this strap off.

Where'd you buy that from that would be perfect

That's what i was looking to post. Perfect

@Zane Sowder what you have there are the coveted ameristeps. They were intended to be used to climb the tree which is why one is sewn in. The others originally had the same strap on them and someone cut them off. The only way to get them tight enough to use as a platform is to put them on a ratchet strap or OCB or boat buckle and those suckers will be exactly what you are expecting them to be! Go for it, cut it off the strap! You will never be happy with them on the current strap/buckle. FYI I gave you a good reference from that guy looking to trade with you

@Zane Sowder what you have there are the coveted ameristeps. They were intended to be used to climb the tree which is why one is sewn in. The others originally had the same strap on them and someone cut them off. The only way to get them tight enough to use as a platform is to put them on a ratchet strap or OCB or boat buckle and those suckers will be exactly what you are expecting them to be! Go for it, cut it off the strap! You will never be happy with them on the current strap/buckle. FYI I gave you a good reference from that guy looking to trade with you
Ok man! I trust your judgement and thanks for the reference that's awesome!

Where'd you buy that from that would be perfect

That's what i was looking to post. Perfect

I wish I could tell you for sure but I know I bought it locally. My first guess would be Home Depot, but it could have been Northern Tool’s or something like that. I don’t think it will be hard to find.

If you really want “rock solid” a ratchet strap will get you there. Any over center buckle has to go past the cams high point before it can lock into place. So before you get it locked the strap will be at it’s tightest. Then it loosens when you lock it. This works great for things like a boat on a trailer where there is a spring affect when pulling the boat down onto a trailer but it doesn’t work as well on a solid tree.

The ratchet will get as tight as you want it and stay that way.

Okay I just walked into an Academy Sports and Outdoors and ran right into one.
c23259a294cbe5243e8d9649c2610e8d.jpg
I would not buy those because you are going to prefer something other than the s hooks for a ring of steps. If that is the only option and its time to hunt, it will work just the other is much better. Like the ones you first posted, the green strap one!!

So you could also try a little leverage, just take yourself a steel bar (3/8 ratchet works good) and wrap the strap around it, the try to use the tree to leverage tighter.

Disclaimer, I have not done this, but kind of the same principle as an oil filter wrench with a strap. Also, I would test OTG first.

I would not buy those because you are going to prefer something other than the s hooks for a ring of steps. If that is the only option and its time to hunt, it will work just the other is much better. Like the ones you first posted, the green strap one!!

You need to read the whole tread. You only use the ratchet from this. Cut the straps and hooks off.

Back