• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ring of Steps Question

mnbowhunter3985

I just bought a bullman ring of steps from a guy, and the ratchet is shot on it. Is there any certain strap that I need to replace it with or will just a ratchet strap do?

Other ocb advocates have had trouble getting the bullman steps tight enough. I haven’t tried them.

Here come the squirrel steps advocates. lol
I haven’t ponied up the cash for squirrel steps yet. Seems like several broke the ratchet on the bullman steps trying to get them tight enough. I think the consensus from those that tried them were they didn’t make a very good platform. They are bulky like ameristeps but because of the design they want to tip out at the top. The pivot point is the strap itself. I think they are an ok climbing system and will work as a platform. If I remember correctly bullman replaced the ratchet free of charge for a couple members. So the op could try them. Doublesteps.com sales a heavy duty ratchet as well for the ratchet strap advocates.

This is a case where OCB wasn’t recommended as the best choice but I’m sure they could be used

Most guys couldn’t get them tight enough without an actual ratchet strap

Someone tested all the strap types including OCB with Bullman steps & I think the result was a 1.5” ratchet strap was smallest size that worked good and kept them stable

You’d have to search for it on SH tho to confirm

It’s on an old thread

I would try it with my OCB first tho and see for myself since it would be less bulky to pack and quieter to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a case where OCB wasn’t recommended as the best choice but I’m sure they could be used

Most guys couldn’t get them tight enough without an actual ratchet strap

Someone tested all the strap types including OCB with Bullman steps & I think the result was a 1.5” ratchet strap was smallest size that worked good and kept them stable

You’d have to search for it on SH tho to confirm

It’s on an old thread

I would try it with my OCB first tho and see for myself since it would be less bulky to pack and quieter to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx @Tapeworm !

Interested to hear how they compare. Please follow up when you test OCB.
I'm using DanO's squirrel steps in conjunction with my Predator-at 3 and 9 o'clock-on a separate OCB strap. When it's locked down, at least on the trees I've tried here in FL, it's perfect!! A ratchet straps is only gonna be more perfect. I just didn't want the noise. Not sure on a Ros.

I'm using DanO's squirrel steps in conjunction with my Predator-at 3 and 9 o'clock-on a separate OCB strap. When it's locked down, at least on the trees I've tried here in FL, it's perfect!! A ratchet straps is only gonna be more perfect. I just didn't want the noise. Not sure on a Ros.
I’m in FL too and hunt mostly pines. Went from ratchet to OCB. OCB is quiet/lighter and just like nutterbuster says gets just as tight as ratchet. No step movement but I’m only 175#.

Back