• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ring of steps?

Andry534

I’m trying to get my setup dialed in, and I’ve been looking at the ring of steps. I like the idea that I would be able to walk around the tree to avoid week side shots, and not pivot on a platform. What am I missing? Why do people prefer the platforms over a ROS? Is there anyway to use a ROS without a ratchet strap? I kind of hate the idea of messing with that in the tree.

Search around here for OCB (over center buckle) straps for ROS. Most common way to ditch the ratchet strap. Works great for me.

Platform style is ultimately personal preference. ROS puts more weight in your saddle by encouraging sitting. Pivot style platforms encourage standing/leaning with less weight in the saddle. Different folks think each style is more comfortable and user friendly for shot maneuvering. No consensus. You have to try both to know how you feel. ROS wins on weight and packability, but the difference is marginal enough that folks that prefer to lean see it as an easy tradeoff.

Check out YouTube videos on each to get a better idea before ordering.

TNSTAAFL summed it up pretty well.

I use WE stepps, but would upgrade to a platform if funds permitted. Using steps puts more pressure on your feet and I feel like I'm moving more as a result.

TNSTAAFL summed it up pretty well.

I use WE stepps, but would upgrade to a platform if funds permitted. Using steps puts more pressure on your feet and I feel like I'm moving more as a result.

I started with a platform thinking it would be more comfortable and I actually switched to a ROS. Everyone will be different as you can tell. I found that with a platform I had to keep my feet so close together to stay on it that it cramped me up after a couple hours. I like being able to keep my legs wider than hips width and to me that is more comfortable.

I started with ROS last year. This season I bought a predator platform. In the yard practicing at this point I prefer the ROS.

I prefer the smaller package of the ROS. I will keep playing with the predator to see if I change my mind though.

I started with ROS last year. This season I bought a predator platform. In the yard practicing at this point I prefer the ROS.

I prefer the smaller package of the ROS. I will keep playing with the predator to see if I change my mind though.
were did you get your ROS if you dont mind me asking and what was the cost?

were did you get your ROS if you dont mind me asking and what was the cost?

I got them from bullman outdoors. They are the silent approach steps attached to a short ratchet strap. I believe the price was around 65.

what are your thoughts on that Bullman ROS? I have a podium platform (which i am thinking about selling) and i want to convert to ROS.

I converted from platform to Bullman ROS. Love them. I feel less restricted in the tree.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I’m also new but have been testing lots of gear since early spring and found that I prefer the ROS to the platform. Haven’t sold my platform but it sits home in a practice tree. give a ROS try, you can always sell them if it doesn’t work out.

I got the squirrel steps.

On longer sit I like my platform but for shorter sits or longer walks I use my Cranfords Ros there’s not that much of a weight difference between my podium and the Cranford scaffold Ros but they are more compact to carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like everyone else has said, personal preference. I had a Bullman ros and sold them. NOT because they weren't good kit, simply personal preference. I found them to be well made. I upgraded mine with an ocb setup, made them way easier to set up IMO. I sold them as I'm more of a leaner and find leaning to be more comfortable with a platform. Either you're gonna hafta buy a set and test them out or see if another saddler lives close to you and will let you take em for a test drive. If you do buy you should be able to sell them.

I use both. I like to lean mostly but it's really nice to have some where to shift your feet to. Plus the added mobility around the tree. I use a diy W.E. platform with Bullman steps, packs up pretty well and I think it still weighs less than a predator.

I’m trying to get my setup dialed in, and I’ve been looking at the ring of steps. I like the idea that I would be able to walk around the tree to avoid week side shots, and not pivot on a platform. What am I missing? Why do people prefer the platforms over a ROS? Is there anyway to use a ROS without a ratchet strap? I kind of hate the idea of messing with that in the tree.
I'm using WE steps as my ROS. This is my first year hunting from a saddle. Buying saddle and steps was enough this year. I've hunted 5 times this season so far and next year I'll buy a platform, either the perch or the predator. Now I use only 2 steps with a gap between as my ROS. I feel a bigger platform will be more comfortable. I'm leaning on buying the perch because it will attach to the stepps. After reading many threads here I may not like it but I'll give it a try.

I am newer to saddle hunting. After trying a ring with several WE steps I switched to a perch platform. I found it easier to set up, more comfortable and I felt much more sure footed..... But I admit the $ amount for that small piece of metal seems steep.

I am newer to saddle hunting. After trying a ring with several WE steps I switched to a perch platform. I found it easier to set up, more comfortable and I felt much more sure footed..... But I admit the $ amount for that small piece of metal seems steep.
Rodney after switching to the perch did you still use your ROS of steps for more area to move around or just the perch? How was the perch, solid and locked in or did it feel as thought sloppy and not solid . I've read threads of users saying they felt they were not solid but lose.
Yes I agree about the price but they mate up to my steps so I'm leaning toward buying one. I've spent enough for a saddle and 10 steps this year. The purchase will have to wait till next year.

Rodney after switching to the perch did you still use your ROS of steps for more area to move around or just the perch? How was the perch, solid and locked in or did it feel as thought sloppy and not solid . I've read threads of users saying they felt they were not solid but lose.
Yes I agree about the price but they mate up to my steps so I'm leaning toward buying one. I've spent enough for a saddle and 10 steps this year. The purchase will have to wait till next year.

Why not build a plywood platform? Costs $10 and mates up to the steps with same principle as the perch. Cheap way to try it before you buy it.

Why not build a plywood platform? Costs $10 and mates up to the steps with same principle as the perch. Cheap way to try it before you buy it.
Maybe that would be the way go for some guys. You probably have some more skills then I do in that regard. Fortunately I love it.

[/QUOTE
This will sound like I am contidicted myself - yes there is some mild side to side movement even when it is well locked in, but it feels trustworthy and solid to me (it might help that I am only 165lb)....I will admit when I first tried it I was concerned it was not solid at all. But after practicing with it and getting better at the setup I can get it solid even on trees with more prominent bark. In my opinion the reviews on the perch being loose are more harsh then I found it to be and may be somewhat due to lack of user proficiency.

I pasted the you tube review that helped me the most -
. Check out minutes 4-6 of this video. The ability to push off in all 4 directions is why I bought it and I feel like the platform has delivered just that. I can move around the tree to my strong side and easily shoot to my 2:00 area.

Although I would be more comfortable with the perch alone over a ROS I am experimenting with a single step on the back side of the tree. It would have its advantages in some situations. Fortunately I find it more comfortable if that backside step is higher then platform level, so i don’t have to worry about putting the step standoffs on the cord of the platform step.

Back