• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rock Harness and sit drag or Mantis

wpwoutdoors

I’m new to saddle hunting and I am looking into getting either a Mantis or using the rock harness and SitDrag as a diy. Reccomendations? Any input helps

I have both and hunted out of both. Either option is great.

How do you like DIY?

How do you like saving money?

How do you like a polished product with special made accesories?

What’s the wait time on a Mantis and when do you want your saddle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both and hunted out of both. Either option is great.

How do you like DIY?

How do you like saving money?

How do you like a polished product with special made accesories?

What’s the wait time on a Mantis and when do you want your saddle?

I appreciate the input. Is there really any difference between shooting out of the mantis vs the rock harness and sit drag?

I appreciate the input. Is there really any difference between shooting out of the mantis vs the rock harness and sit drag?

no, but I wouldn't recommend a sitdrag/rockharness setup to anyone that hasn't done some kind of harness hunting or lineman belt climbing before. diy relies on you to know or learn exactly what you are doing or buying. There aren't many chances at mistakes with this stuff.
Do a lot of reading and practicing at ground height before you diy or just buy a hunting saddle...and even then practice at ground height

Thinking about it though....I could twist around a tree without a care in the world in my old treesaddle…...not so much in a sitdrag. Just the sitdrag/rockharness has the belay/rappel loop. Only reason id chose it over a hunting harness is one of the weird climbing methods that just work better with a rock harness

Last edited:
no, but I wouldn't recommend a sitdrag/rockharness setup to anyone that hasn't done some kind of harness hunting or lineman belt climbing before. diy relies on you to know or learn exactly what you are doing or buying. There aren't many chances at mistakes with this stuff.
Do a lot of reading and practicing at ground height before you diy or just buy a hunting saddle...and even then practice at ground height

Thinking about it though....I could twist around a tree without a care in the world in my old treesaddle…...not so much in a sitdrag. Just the sitdrag/rockharness has the belay/rappel loop. Only reason id chose it over a hunting harness is one of the weird climbing methods that just work better with a rock harness

This is a good point. I've done enough rapelling to feel very comfortable with cobbling together a SD. A package from Tethrd or New Tribe takes a lot of the figuring out, out of the equation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2XyH0FcSPWO5bc6vjOoj8R

Hope that link works....

Thats the rock climbing harness I use in conjunction with my sitdrag. I used a speedy stitcher to put a waist belt on the sitdrag so it stays put. I might try a mantis eventually, but for know, I can kill deer from the RCH and SD just the same as I could from a mantis. Just my two cents.....

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Back