• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rookie Saddle Hunter.

Welcome to the site! There is a ton of information here (especially for beginners) you have time to get familiar with the parts & pieces before you’re saddle gets here.

Welcome from Michigan! Hook up with other saddle hunters in your area - there are events happening often.

I know of absolutely nobody who even knows about saddle hunting. People look at me like I’m from another planet lol. Hope to get some good information here.

Welcome to the site. Ton of info, first, lock up your credit card, then start reading, decide on a climbing method and go from there. I've gone through 3 methods and haven't even hunted out of a saddle yet. I guess better to do it now than in the middle of the season. Ask alot of questions, all these guys are knowledgeable and will give you honest and helpful answers. Good luck.

Welcome from northern Michigan. For me anyway, the saddle hunting journey has been less about the actual saddle and more about the best method to access the tree. Sitting, leaning, shooting from the saddle were all very natural and comfortable for me. However, after so many years of hunting from climbing treestands, finding a compact, quiet climbing system is where I've spent the most time (and money!:)). I think I've finally dialed a setup in that works for me but I still keep looking for that next best thing. @Sziggy2.0 put it best, lock up the credit card!

Seriously, give it a good honest chance and I'm sure you'll like it. Saddle hunting has allowed me easier, much quieter access to areas and trees I couldn't hunt out of with my climber.

Research on here and subscribe to some youtube channels. Some helpful ones are G2 Outdoors, DIY Sportsman, NutterBuster's, Tethrd Nation, BoudreauxBoswell, Mark Dohring..... I could keep going lol. Since you already have a Mantis coming I believe these are the areas that I researched and addressed next.
1. Climbing method (How are you getting up the tree to hunting height)
2. Platform vs Ring Of Steps (this is what you will stand on at hunting height)
3. How will you carry 1 and 2 into the woods (If using sticks will you strap them to a pack or carry the bundle some other way)
4. Do you have a pack that will do what you need it to do (You don't need anything fancy as long as it will work for you)
5. How are you going to haul your weapon up the tree (Gear hoist of some sort, paracord figure 8 method)
6. If using sticks to climb how will you carry sticks up as you climb (I bought J hooks from doublesteps.com and tied paracord around stick standoffs to carry extras up as I go)
7. Knee Pads
8. How will you hang bow and gear when you get to height, G2 Outdoors has a great youtube video addressing this Titled
"The Ultimate Gear Hanger System for Tree Saddles"
9. Is there anything you want to do to cut weight or silence gear
10. Practice

I just went through this process a few months ago as I am just starting out as well. I hope this helps, it should at least get you started. If anyone sees anything I may have missed feel free to chime in
Happy hunting!!

Last edited:
Welcome!

1. Get familiar with the search function.
2. Start with SRT. You'll land there eventually anyway and shipping costs associated with sending climbing methods that didn't pan out for you to other new guys on SH can add up. ;)

Welcome from Arkansas, The Saddle Hunter User Map can come in handy. See who is near you

Welcome from Wisconsin. I think NWPA22 laid it out nicely above. I’ll just add, ask whatever questions you have on this forum. Everyone is really open to sharing their knowledge here. Search first as there is a good chance the question has already been discussed a few times.

Well hells' bells, would that be 11 bravo as in infantry type, one each? Welcome to saddle hunting and to saddlehunter.com from Massachusetts.

I am 11 B as well. 4th Platoon Bravo 8/2 Harmony church, the old barracks, the summer of 1983. Thank you for your service Grunt.

I knew you were a brother when i saw the 508th crest. I graduated Sand Hill E Co. 2/19 Sept. 17, 2004.

Ok gotta ask...As I’ve said I haven’t received my Mantis yet. But I am impatient and started swinging around the oak in my backyard with a swiss seat, and a climbing stick. I’ve come to like the one stick method. I don’t see much issue just using the top of my climbing stick as a platform. I have the mobility for a shot. Will using the stick work for long hunts?

Back