• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rookie SRT Questions

Saddler

Jul 2, 2019
Charlotte, NC
I’m new to saddle hunting and have enjoyed learning from these forums the last few weeks. Just a quick thanks to everyone — this site is a great resource.

Onto my questions: I recently ordered a kestrel flex, but didn’t buy the kit b/c I’m not sure how I’ll climb. Maybe a basic setup —sticks with lineman’s rope and tether — but also considering SRT based on what I’ve seen here. It just looks efficient and fun.... at least for folks who know what they’re doing. I have lots of questions about SRT, but (at the risk of asking too much) below are several for starters. Most relate to safety. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts. Again, this is new to me, so just let me know if anything I ask doesn’t make sense.

SRT Equipment:
  • Is there anything I’d need beyond: saddle, rope, ascender, descender, and carabiners? Any specific recommendations?
  • What’s a good rope length?
  • Is a lineman’s belt necessary?

Setup at hunting height:
  • Once you reach hunting height, do you connect to the tree via: (a) the climbing rope only, (b) a separate tether only (e.g., detach from the climbing rope and connect using, say, the tether that comes standard from aerohunter) , or (c) both the climbing rope and separate tether?
  • Does anyone use a 2-bridge setup — shorter bride for the climb / descent then longer bridge for a separate tether connected at hunting height?
  • I’d always like to have a backup attachment point to the tree if my primary attachment somehow fails (guess that‘d be option (c) in my question above). My question here isn’t specific to SRT: does anyone use a separate harness to tether into the tree twice (like saddle as the primary connection and rock harness tethered for backup)? Or maybe one harness connected via the tether w/ lineman’s belt as backup? That’s probably overkill, but I want to do this as safely as possible.
Climbing:
  • Related to the above: Is there any reasonable way to have a backup safety connection to the tree while you climb / descend if for some reason the climbing rope or equipment fails?
  • Any other suggestions, safety or otherwise?
1562175069384.png

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
What you need:

Hand ascender with foot loop
Belay device. Madrock lifeguard, safeguard, gri gri etc.
3 carabiners
Short bridge. I use a doubled over 12 inch runner
Throw bag and throw line
Recovery line
Anywhere from 25' to 40' of climbing rope

Best tip I can give you is to watch the SRT video that @JCLINE84 posted a long time ago. Great video makes it very simple to understand and you'll see all the equipment I mentioned. Some people hunt from an SRT line. Others hook in with a tether once at height.

Red Beard

SH Member
Mar 3, 2019
in my skin
I agree with most everything @Murph4028 said except that you don't NEED a grigri or similar device. They make it easier, but you can do it with a Ropeman or other mechanical progress capture device. If you go that route though, you'll need a rappel device like an ATC or figure 8 and an autoblock.

A lineman's isn't really needed when SRTing.

You'll want a longer bridge if using an ATC or figure 8 so your autoblock doesn't get into the mix where is not supposed to.

As far as a second connection to the tree... just focus on getting your connections to your climbing line correct. You're not going to snap your climbing rope. Ain't gonna happen. :)

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
I agree with most everything @Murph4028 said except that you don't NEED a grigri or similar device. They make it easier, but you can do it with a Ropeman or other mechanical progress capture device. If you go that route though, you'll need a rappel device like an ATC or figure 8 and an autoblock.

A lineman's isn't really needed when SRTing.

You'll want a longer bridge if using an ATC or figure 8 so your autoblock doesn't get into the mix where is not supposed to.

As far as a second connection to the tree... just focus on getting your connections to your climbing line correct. You're not going to snap your climbing rope. Ain't gonna happen. :)
A gri gri is a rappel device. A ropeman is an ascender. Weather it's an ATC or a madrock or a gri gri you need a rappel device and you need a way to ascend which is why I suggested the hand ascender which is most popular and simple to use.

Saddler

Jul 2, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Thanks everyone. I have about 50 feet of 12.7 mm Samson climbing rope (Vortex). It looks like the Petzl Ascender is comparable with that rope (goes up to 13mm) but the Grigri and Mad Rocks aren’t (only go up to 11mm). Is there another repel device you all recommend for the 12.7 mm rope? Or would I just need different rope?

Red Beard

SH Member
Mar 3, 2019
in my skin
A gri gri is a rappel device. A ropeman is an ascender. Weather it's an ATC or a madrock or a gri gri you need a rappel device and you need a way to ascend which is why I suggested the hand ascender which is most popular and simple to use.
Sorry @Murph4028... Guess I didn't describe very well what I was trying to say. I didn't mean to misrepresent. The components you mentioned can pull double duty as both progress capture and belay devices. I was just trying to make a distinction between those type of devices and a single function piece of gear like a Ropeman (a progress capture only when used in SRT). If going with a Ropeman, one would also need a separate belay like an ATC or figure 8.

Just wanted to make sure @Saddler knew that there were other options besides ~$90 ones.

Country

Jun 7, 2018
Thanks everyone. I have about 50 feet of 12.7 mm Samson climbing rope (Vortex). It looks like the Petzl Ascender is comparable with that rope (goes up to 13mm) but the Grigri and Mad Rocks aren’t (only go up to 11mm). Is there another repel device you all recommend for the 12.7 mm rope? Or would I just need different rope?
I haven't done extensive research on all of the descending devices, but I haven't yet seen on that would work for that size rope OTHER than a figure 8 descender. I thought about going that route myself, but I personally believe those require a lot more experience to use safely. I'm new to SRT myself and I wish I would've gotten just a little more rope... maybe 60'-70'...just due to the fact that sometimes the branch you need to throw to is way over your climbing height.

Saddler

Jul 2, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Thanks. I can see how a little extra rope would be good in certain spots. Not sure there’s much downside other than a little more to haul around.

What kind of knot are you all using to anchor the climbing rope into the tree? I’m wondering if there would be a benefit to splicing the end of the climbing rope so you could essentially connect it like a long version of the tree tether sold by tethrd (if that makes sense).

Country

Jun 7, 2018
So far I have used a figure 8 on a bight, but from what I've read, a running bowline with Yosemite tie off may be the better option. I suppose a spliced rope would do the trick, but I haven't seen it used in any of the climbing or arborist videos I've watched.

Red Beard

SH Member
Mar 3, 2019
in my skin
Thanks. I can see how a little extra rope would be good in certain spots. Not sure there’s much downside other than a little more to haul around.

What kind of knot are you all using to anchor the climbing rope into the tree? I’m wondering if there would be a benefit to splicing the end of the climbing rope so you could essentially connect it like a long version of the tree tether sold by tethrd (if that makes sense).
Makes total sense. Use a figure 8 knotand anchor with a girth hitch. It'll be exactly like an extended tether.

Reactions: Saddler

Newhunter1

SH Member
Dec 20, 2018
I have in the classifieds an SRT system for sale. If you're serious contact me and we can work out a deal. It will come with the petzl rig which in my opinion is far superior to the grigri or madrock. I had the madrock and it petzl rig is so much better.

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
@Saddler i wouldn’t design my system around that rope. Nothing wrong with it other than size. I’m just now playing with srt and have a good bit of 11mm rope. It’s only 2mm difference between 9mm and it but it’s a huge difference when you see 50’ of each piled up. Your 50’ of 12.7 mm rope will be twice as big as 50’ of 9mm. For me I’m working with my 11mm to make sure it is worth using srt to hunt but If I decide to make it one of my primary methods I’m ordering 9mm sterling htp. If you think you would do the same make sure whatever devices you choose will also work with smaller rope.

Reactions: Red Beard

Murph4028

Vendor Rep
Jan 2, 2019
North Carolina
Sorry @Murph4028... Guess I didn't describe very well what I was trying to say. I didn't mean to misrepresent. The components you mentioned can pull double duty as both progress capture and belay devices. I was just trying to make a distinction between those type of devices and a single function piece of gear like a Ropeman (a progress capture only when used in SRT). If going with a Ropeman, one would also need a separate belay like an ATC or figure 8.

Just wanted to make sure @Saddler knew that there were other options besides ~$90 ones.

No issues buddy. Just wanted to clarify so the OP wasn't mislead. SRT is very safe when done correctly. Just like any other climbing method it requires attention to detail and correct equipment

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
You don't need a linesmans for SRT but I would still bring one. Can help with positioning in certain situations.

Getting familiar with the equipment is your best bet for safety. Having a backup isn't necessary when you understand the capabilities of the system. If you train and attach correctly the system is totally safe. You'll find a back up to interfere with the system.

Gator

SH Member
May 20, 2019
Virginia
So I've been playing with SRT just off the trusses in my garage (10ft). FIrst couple of climbs I was flailing but then I started using a stud to put my feet on and this allowed me to get vertical versus the flailing in midair. Using petzl ascender with foot loop and a grigri to descend. Coming down, even from 10ft my right hand gets hot from the rope running through it. Do I just have little sissy hands from being a keyboard engineer or is this a common problem and what is the solution? Only thing I've read that seems like it would help is to have a prusic or <blanking on other rope autoblock maybe> that you hold and thus it might take the heat from the sliding rope versus your hand (yes I have no backup right now other than my right hand and the grigri)