• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope/amsteel length mod on hawk helium?

Prog27

Hey guys I am just putting a feeler out there to get an idea on what rope/amsteel length everyone is running on their climbing sticks. I ran about 8ft this year and at time wished I would have had another 6” or so (“that’s what she said” jokes...go) I ordered some more amsteel and want to decide on a length. What length are you running?

Haven’t used them much this season but I had my ropes set around 9ft for the bottom stick, 8ft for the 2nd, and 7ft for the last 2.

Kind of overkill for most of the trees I’d climb but every now and then I’d need the extra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s an interesting idea! I don’t like the big trees either but sometimes 1) it’s “THE” tree I have to be in or 2) I would like to be up in the crotch of that big maple or oak. Some good siz trees in PA. Thanks man

I bought a winch kid from harbor freight that was 50’. I used it for 5 stick mods- 10’ to start off with then I made a loop. Plenty long enough for what I have needed them for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a winch kid from harbor freight that was 50’. I used it for 5 stick mods- 10’ to start off with then I made a loop. Plenty long enough for what I have needed them for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a 50’ winch kit from amazon for $17. I ended up making them 7and a half feet. I measured again and the ones I ran this season were only 6ft. Pretty sure the extra 1.5ft will get me around most trees I wanna climb. I still have 15ft or so left. i will give them a shot in a few days.

I have a set of 8’ long 1/4” Amsteel with spliced eye at one end as well as a set of 8’ long 7/64” Amsteel daisy chains made for my hawks. I used the daisy chains all this year and they worked great.

Back