• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope bridge for the tree saddle.

ramjet

Just getting started using a tree saddle and need some advice. I have playing around with my saddle and having trouble rotating around. Can you change the bridge strap to a rope and would that help. I have had two of these saddles for about three years and never used them because I did not like the tether strap. After reading the changes you people have made. I changed to a rope tether and life is better.

Just getting started using a tree saddle and need some advice. I have playing around with my saddle and having trouble rotating around. Can you change the bridge strap to a rope and would that help. I have had two of these saddles for about three years and never used them because I did not like the tether strap. After reading the changes you people have made. I changed to a rope tether and life is better.
I suppose you could but it would require cutting it up. I can't think of seeing anyone who has done that. Not sure how what would help you with rotating around? If you have a biner coming off your tether the webbing should slide through there pretty easily.

If you are using a Trophyline Saddle, I wouldn't mess with the bridge straps. One thing that helped me was to buy an oversized pear shaped carabiner. The large carabiner allowed the bridge to slide easily back and forth making rotating a little easier.

Another thing - when you get to hunting height, you can take off your suspenders. They really restrict movement and do nothing to keep you safe once you're in the tree. They are only useful for walking/climbing.

This is the carabiner I use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D1WAKS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you thing that a wider biner would help?
If you are using a Trophyline Saddle, I wouldn't mess with the bridge straps. One thing that helped me was to buy an oversized pear shaped carabiner. The large carabiner allowed the bridge to slide easily back and forth making rotating a little easier.

Another thing - when you get to hunting height, you can take off your suspenders. They really restrict movement and do nothing to keep you safe once you're in the tree. They are only useful for walking/climbing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D1WAKS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah, what g2 said.

John recommended paraffin wax years ago, worked well for me. Also I have amsteel coming and hope its not too slippery. I prefer a controlled turn, vs spinning. Lol

If spending $20 on carabiners, go with triple autolocking as opposed to screw gates. It's a better easier system to use and never forgets to lock itself.

I have screw lock and don't like them. This autolock sounds interesting. I find just from working the screw locks that when I go to open them, sometimes they are slightly locked and its frustrating. I want no look quick opening/closing.

I have screw lock and don't like them. This autolock sounds interesting. I find just from working the screw locks that when I go to open them, sometimes they are slightly locked and its frustrating. I want no look quick opening/closing.

If you look at the Arborist supply houses most of the carabiners they sell are of that design because non-lock, screw lock, etc are illegal for life support plus they're faster and safer than screw locks so there isn't much demand for them in tree work other than for light rigging and a few old schoolers that still use them.

The barrel squeaks sometimes and drives me crazy

Drives you crazy? how about any coyote within 150 yards? That sound is like a dog whistle. I hate it.
I'm going to look into these super duper, auto self climbing, laser aiming devices...

Petzl William and am'd come in flat black. I have a dmm ultra-o auto locking biner that is also in flat black. I like it but find that the petzl auto lock mechanism is smoother and easier.

I used screw gates a bit bit after looking down and seeing them unlocked once, I decided I would do only auto locking. Still need to be checked but lessargon for error, faster too.

I promise I am not paid by them, because I've posted a link here a few times before...but check treestuff. They rock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, boone. We know Red is on the Treestuff prostaff. And they don't need two plants when they have the forum owner.

I thought the screw lock type was the safest so that is what I bought. I am sure what I have is totally safe for my use. The petzl's that I bought lock up tight and you really have to want them to come un-screwed. But if these are safer and easier, that sounds like a winning combination for future purchases.

They are perfectly safe if you remember to lock them... I am lazy and don't want to take the risk though

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, boone. We know Red is on the Treestuff prostaff. And they don't need two plants when they have the forum owner.

If I charged 1 penny for everytime I said treestuff and g2 said sit and drag or amsteel I could finance this website for the rest of my life!

But in all seriousness they are a great company. You can always use the free shipping code, and everything I order comes within 2-3 days max.

They are perfectly safe if you remember to lock them... I am lazy and don't want to take the risk though

I used to come across guys sometimes that would insist on the screw gates and swear they were safer cause "I don't want anything 'automatic' in my climbing system". Inevitably they'd forget to screw 'em closed on a fairly regular basis o_O

Back