• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Choices

neotoxo54

New here & getting back into saddles this coming Fall. Back in the day I used a tree-sling and liked it but it was primitive compared to todays choices.
Anyway, I was researching rope for the tree tether & for SRT use and wondering if Amstel/Dyneema would serve just as well but have concerns with fraying from ascenders.
Any educated opinions appreciated. Thanks

I'm not an immaculate rope mind, but my understanding is that amsteel isnt good tether or SRT material. Ropes that are used for rock climbing is what I would use for a tether or SRT.

I definitely wouldn't use amsteel for a tether. Amsteel, although strong, is very slippery and is significantly weakened by knots or kinks, and most rope grabs such as the ropeman grab via teeth which create a stress similar to kinks. In addition it is not very abrasion resistant and the constant scraping over the bark will snag and degradde it pretty quick.

As suggested above, look for some static arborist type climbing line between 9mm (3/8") and 12mm (1/2"). This is the rope size the majority of ascenders or rope grabs are designed for. There's a lot of different options, some are splicable some are not. There are several good sources for rope by the foot, Wesspur.com, Treestuff.com and RWrope.com along with a lot of information in those sites.

Good luck and stay safe.

Back