• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope/Climbing Gear Organization

CrackbottomLouis

I really couldn't think on how to title this thread.

My current set up is a mantis and I keep all of my ropes (linesman belt & ropeman, 30ft tether & madrock, 2 backbands, tether retrieval line) in mag pouches attached to the molle on my saddle. This keeps everything handy as I climb, easy to access and secure ,and, is a good trade for having to wear suspenders imo.

Well, I just got the eberlhart saddle that is 2 pieces and attaching that gear to my saddle is no longer feasible.

So, any suggestions on how to carry that gear where I can easily access and it won't get in the way as I climb? I use 3 sticks instead of one sticking and climb with my linesman belt then attach my tether at top. I like keeping the ability to repel down so don't want to change my long tether. Really all I need is my tether and linesman belt and a way to attach my Doyle's gear line. Everything else I can store in my pack.

Maybe a slim chest pack that isn't bulky enough to get in the way as I climb and set sticks? My scentlok pants dont have cargo pockets but that would be a good option I guess. But, it's nice to just grab my saddle and sticks and know I have everything there so nothing is forgotten. So, I prefer to have everything organized into something that fits on me where everything has a specific place for a quick gear check.

Advice and thoughts appreciated.

I daisy chain lineman’s on left loop. Daisy chain tether on right loop. When I rappelled with kestrel I kept rope in pack.

on hybrid same system, but I just hang figure8’d rappel line from load lifter bar.

I use a Doyle’s that’s clipped to bottom of hybrid or bottom of pack for retrieval line. If i didnt, I would store a retrieval line in same place.

having things hanging on a saddle while hunting annoys me. Only thing on my kestrel while hunting is my lineman’s daisy chained behind my butt clipped to opposite loop. It’s tight and doesn’t move.

Check out the Hill People Gear Recon or Heavy Recon Kit bag. Attach your Doyle’s on the front and fit the rest in the kit bag.

Alternative is a small haversack or a sling pack that can be brought forward for access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a two panel saddle (Latitude Method) and I carry my gear in pouches. I have no issues. I have two pouches, the pouch on my right has 40’ of Oplux, a Grgi+, and autoblock. The left pouch has all of my other stuff. I could fasten it individually to the Molle loops if I wanted to, but I just use the pouches. The Method has kydex hooks on the right and left sides to hold the bottom panel up, as you’re walking in or out. Is the fact that the ESS doesn’t have hooks for the lower panel the issue? If so, just pull it up and fasten it in place with some rubber Nite-Eyz wire ties.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back