• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope/cord combinations

ketch22

SH Member
Hey, I know this has been talked about, but I’m looking to purchase new ropes this season and accessory cord. Specifically to rappel on using friction hitches.

WHILE TRYING TO STAY OUT OF THE WEEDS

What rope/accessory cord combinations have worked well for you. Please include diameters.

You prolly meant this but I would encourage you to come down on a figure 8 or munter rather than just on hitches. Would only do that in an emergency situation. I have been using oplux and resctech both 8mm and sterling trc 6mm for hitches. Tried Canyon elite but didnt like it as well as the other 2.

8mm rescutec and 22" eye2eye 6mm tied with knut hitch. It's the hitch cord dano sells. Descend with monster munter and the knut as the backup...works very well

I also got real long length of bluewater protac 9mm and bluewater 7mm fritch hitch cord....I don't have near as many rappels on this combo but the times I have used have been long 40-50 foot descents using same method as the rescutec....no complaints with that combo either. I can't remember the length of the 7mm hitch cord...can dig it out and measure if need be

Last edited:
This seems like a good topic for a non-authoritative table and sticky. Columns could be Rope Name, Rope Diameter, Cord Name, Cord Diameter, Notes (e.g. This combo slipped, this combo seized)

8mm Oplux with 6mm Marlow Excel Racing in a Cornell hitch with a double finish (not sure how to properly state that…). Moves like butter and releases under weight. Super munter.

9mm canyon with 7mm accessory cord (from trophy line) with a Standard Cornell. Regular munter.

I should say, I do reply on a figure 8 now, but I was looking at trying the privileged bow hunters, hitch/DMM pivot

I know there is a ton of things out there, I just like his method that he can one stick, using and swabisch/ATC/hollow block so the he can go up and down on something non-Mechanical without having to transition.

currently I use multi sticks but rappel and switch from a tether to a rappel rope so there are a lot of moving parts, so a one stop non mechanical shop is where I’m trying to head to. Plus I’m very efficient with my swabisch, some of these other hitches not so much.

Hey, I know this has been talked about, but I’m looking to purchase new ropes this season and accessory cord. Specifically to rappel on using friction hitches.

WHILE TRYING TO STAY OUT OF THE WEEDS

What rope/accessory cord combinations have worked well for you. Please include diameters.
Ok so quick question… are you referring to rappelling only using a hitch? Or the hitch as a back up to a figure 8 or mechanical? It’s not recommended to rappel on only a hitch unless you have something to add additional friction such as a rope wrench.
As to your question, I’m using 9mm protac from Bluewater and 7mm “VT” cord to tie my hitch for a back up. It works great

Ok so quick question… are you referring to rappelling only using a hitch? Or the hitch as a back up to a figure 8 or mechanical? It’s not recommended to rappel on only a hitch unless you have something to add additional friction such as a rope wrench.
As to your question, I’m using 9mm protac from Bluewater and 7mm “VT” cord to tie my hitch for a back up. It works great

so currently I’m running a separate tether with a ropeman. When I’m ready to come down, I hook up my rappel rope with a figure 8 and a swabisch hitch hooked to my lineman’s loop like a backup. Then I take my LB throw it around as a back up to take the weight off my tether and put it into my rappel line. My LB uses a swabisch with a tender. Then when I’m set in rappel I undo the LB and down I come taking sticks off as I come down.

The only time I use mechanical stuff is in my tether for ease of operation. I’ve had trouble bel tending my hitches on a tether after sitting for a while which is why I went back to ropeman.

I then came across the PBH video where he used a swabisch, an ATC under it to add friction and act as a tender, and then a hollow block on his Lineman’s loop where his brake hand would be. And he one sticks with it and he’s similar to my size and seemed to have no problem tending his hitch with it.

I typically only hunt 18 feet max, so I was hoping to have a non mechanical setup ready to go if I need to bail out for whatever reason.

in the past I’ve tried hunting off my rappel line on a ROS and then adding a figure 8 to rappel, I didn’t like it as it felt very unsafe on steps doing that at height. I have a platform now and if I use my LB it feels safer but I’m going to tackle one sticking and if $hit hits the fan, I’d like a non mechanical Option if possible to be safe and just bail out. Obviously this is getting into the weeds as to my reason why, but I know a major factor and rope/hitch use is the correct combination between felxibility rigidity and many other factors. So I was looking for options that people thought worked really well.

I hope that answered any questions so we can back on track. If this does I may delete responses and add these to my original post in order to keep this list on track to end up as a quick reference guide for best combinations in the future.

so currently I’m running a separate tether with a ropeman. When I’m ready to come down, I hook up my rappel rope with a figure 8 and a swabisch hitch hooked to my lineman’s loop like a backup. Then I take my LB throw it around as a back up to take the weight off my tether and put it into my rappel line. My LB uses a swabisch with a tender. Then when I’m set in rappel I undo the LB and down I come taking sticks off as I come down.

The only time I use mechanical stuff is in my tether for ease of operation. I’ve had trouble bel tending my hitches on a tether after sitting for a while which is why I went back to ropeman.

I then came across the PBH video where he used a swabisch, an ATC under it to add friction and act as a tender, and then a hollow block on his Lineman’s loop where his brake hand would be. And he one sticks with it and he’s similar to my size and seemed to have no problem tending his hitch with it.

I typically only hunt 18 feet max, so I was hoping to have a non mechanical setup ready to go if I need to bail out for whatever reason.

in the past I’ve tried hunting off my rappel line on a ROS and then adding a figure 8 to rappel, I didn’t like it as it felt very unsafe on steps doing that at height. I have a platform now and if I use my LB it feels safer but I’m going to tackle one sticking and if $hit hits the fan, I’d like a non mechanical Option if possible to be safe and just bail out. Obviously this is getting into the weeds as to my reason why, but I know a major factor and rope/hitch use is the correct combination between felxibility rigidity and many other factors. So I was looking for options that people thought worked really well.

I hope that answered any questions so we can back on track. If this does I may delete responses and add these to my original post in order to keep this list on track to end up as a quick reference guide for best combinations in the future.
Ok I’m with ya now. You’re gonna get a lot of answers here. The key will be finding the right hitch for the job. Like @FrankNess14 mentioned, that Cornell hitch is a great hitch. It’s similar to a distel with the leg coming around for an additional undertuck. I’m very fond of it and the schwabisch.

Good plan. IF you find a solid rope/cord/hitch combo to use above the ATC, it will still break free under load and the backup hitch on your lineman’s loop isn’t needed. That said I’m about 2/3 the size of [mention]808sh [/mention] so your mileage may vary!

This seems like a good topic for a non-authoritative table and sticky. Columns could be Rope Name, Rope Diameter, Cord Name, Cord Diameter, Notes (e.g. This combo slipped, this combo seized)
Primary setup now is Resctech 8mm with Sterling TRC 6mm hitch cord tied in a happy hands hitch. Havent had any slippage. Hitch, when dressed properly, breaks well under load. Rappel with a munter clipped to second bridge.

Back