• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope for rappelling

wingnut

I've settled on a 30' length for my rope for rappelling. I think I'll start out with an ATC and a hollow block but I'd like to leave myself open to using a safeguard in the future. There are a lot of different ropes that will work. I'd like to find out why people like a certain rope over another.

Bluewater assault line was my first rope, strong, static, heavy sheathing to put up with abuse. Doesn't pack small though.

Sterling oplux 8mm is my current. Strong, but packs down to almost nothing.- not a ton of mechanical devices for 8mm rope though, make sure you stay in spec.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

My first season rappelling, I used 9mm HTP. It's a great rappelling rope, but its stiffness means it doesn't pack well.

Last year, I used CanyonLux (same as Oplux), its small diameter and flexibility allow it to pack small, but also add a degree of difficulty to rappelling. It's also out of spec for my Safeguard.

I tried 9mm Sterling C-IV and did not care for it.

This year, I plan to try 9mm Canyon Elite. If I don't like it, I may go back to HTP.

All last year I used 37' of Oplux and the BD Alpine ATC with a autoblock (hollowblock) below and VT prusik above (6mm TRC). Supper safe. Coming down in a nice controlled descent only requires grip pressure on both knots. Have replaced the Oplux 8mm 5,440# with WorkPro 11mm 8,092# and a regular BD ATC. It's almost 50% stronger and I can use it as SRT line with a CT RollNLock. It's only 1# heavier and still fits in my right pouch (Tethrd).

I'm overwhelmed by all the different ropes that are available. I think EWO has six options alone and you guys have named a couple more that I was not familiar with at all. The specs on the Safeguard list 8.1 mm for rescue and 8.9 for climbing so to be safe I should probably go with a 9 mm and up. Being able to coil it up into a small package is near the top of the list along with strength and wear resistance.

I have not used it on a hunt yet but during my practice sessions I went with 35' of 9mm Canyon Elite. It packs into my Tethrd dump pouch and I use it as my tether as well. Feeds out nicely so I don't have to have it completely out at any given time.

I like the Canyon Elite (9mm) the most for use with the MR Safeguard. Unfortunately, its currently out of stock. Oplux is great if you intend to do the ATC with autoblock/backup friction hitch.
Oplux not great with Safegsyrd when wet.

Last edited:
Another option is Eledrid’s line of Protect lines, they have 6, 8.1, 8.9, and 11mm. All but the 11mm are dynamic while being on the static side with the aramid in the cover. I have the 8.9mm which replaces my 9mm HTP, they are both firm, but the 8.9mm Swift Protect Pro stays flexible, better packing. Technora cover hitch cords grab better than on other mostly Technora covers.

I use Oplux with a safeguard unless I know there is a chance of rain. If it’s going to be wet I’ll use the canyon c-iv. If I can find something that packs like Oplux but works better when wet then I’ll be buying more rope.

Does anyone know if the teufelberger resc tech works any better than the Oplux when wet? Otherwise canyon elite might be worth a try. Canyon C-IV is a bit stiff and doesn’t pack as well as Oplux.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've like the km-3 static rope so far, the ⅜ rope is a 9.5mm and has a breaking strength of 6070lbs, is within specs for more equipment than the oplux, it doesn't pack as nicely as oplux, but I dont mind.

I've also used 10mm monster rope before, very similar but thicker and stiffer than this 9.5mm

I've like the km-3 static rope so far, the ⅜ rope is a 9.5mm and has a breaking strength of 6070lbs, is within specs for more equipment than the oplux, it doesn't pack as nicely as oplux, but I dont mind.

I've also used 10mm monster rope before, very similar but thicker and stiffer than this 9.5mm
Oh, yea and that km3 is like 80c a foot

If you’re just using the rope to rappel there’s no need for the safeguard or similar device. An atc, figure 8 or Munter hitch are all options that can be used on 8mm rope and not having to deal with an out of spec belay device. The belay devices become a great tool when you add SRT to the mix and then choosing a rope that’s in spec is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back