• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope- information overload

Trueblue

Obviously, I am a new member based on the question.Trying to do my own due diligence and research. Have reached a point of information overload concerning which ropes to buy for lineman’s rope, tether, bridge, ect.
Do you use the same rope for all of these?
It seems that there are to many choices concerning ropes, but would like to stay with as light a setup as possible.
Rope to choose from:
Yale Bandit
Samson Predator
Sterling Superstatic
Samson UltrTech
BlueWater Assault
Sterling HTP
Suggestions?

Samson Predator for linesman and tether. Amsteel for bridge. However, the Predator with knots works fine for the bridge as well.

Any real climbing rope will work, I would just make sure it fits within the safe diameter sizes for the Ropeman1.... even if you don’t currently plan to buy one.

The Samson predator mentioned above is a great option. Another popular option is 8mm PMI, but the choices are nearly endless.

I would look at starting with a bridge made of whatever rope your linesman/tether are at least to start with. It is heavier, and a bit bulkier, but it allows you to find your preferred bridge length. Once you know where you like your bridge, I would HIGHLY recommend switching to spliced amsteel for that piece. It is drastically lighter, passes easier through the carabiner, and is just overall more ergonomic.

I make my linesman belt and tether the same exact setup. A carabiner on a figure 8 on one end, a Ropeman1, and a stopper knot on the tail end. That way, I can use either rope for a tether when I get to the top regardless of which one is in use as my linesman belt.

Any real climbing rope will work, I would just make sure it fits within the safe diameter sizes for the Ropeman1.... even if you don’t currently plan to buy one.

The Samson predator mentioned above is a great option. Another popular option is 8mm PMI, but the choices are nearly endless.

I would look at starting with a bridge made of whatever rope your linesman/tether are at least to start with. It is heavier, and a bit bulkier, but it allows you to find your preferred bridge length. Once you know where you like your bridge, I would HIGHLY recommend switching to spliced amsteel for that piece. It is drastically lighter, passes easier through the carabiner, and is just overall more ergonomic.

I make my linesman belt and tether the same exact setup. A carabiner on a figure 8 on one end, a Ropeman1, and a stopper knot on the tail end. That way, I can use either rope for a tether when I get to the top regardless of which one is in use as my linesman belt.
I do have 2 Ropeman 1 on order, but did not realize that you can use 8mm rope with them.

I think they technically call for 9mm as the smallest diameter.

After looking at my purchases, it looks like I used Yale Bandit for the linesman belt and tether...
The 8mm PMI was for my rope mod on my sticks before I went with amsteel. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a Kestrel. The one thing I didn't care for was the Predator Rope bridge. It was nice to be able to unbuckle one side and use a Ropeman, but those perks were outweighed by the clunky knots and metal of the carabiner.
To me, the biggest downside of that set up was that the knot on one side, and the carabiner on the other took away from the actual usable space of the bridge.
Essentially, the tether carabiner can't travel loop to loop. It can only travel from knot to the bridge carabiner. It cuts down on the amount of rotation I could do.
But with a fixed Amsteel bridge, my tether can travel completely from loop to loop...there's no clutter on the bridge. Its 100% usable bridge.
In the beginning, you probably want the luxury of an adjustable bridge until you dial everything in. An Amsteel bridge can utilize a whoopie sling bury and you'll be able to adjust it easily until you figure out how long you want it. At that point, you can either make a fixed bridge, or put a carabiner on the one side. Either way, it's better, IMO, a non- Amsteel bridge.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yale Bandit 11 mm. 5,600#
Samson Predator 11.4 mm 6,000#
Sterling Superstatic 11mm. 6,500#
Samson Ultra Tech 9mm 10,000#
BlueWater Assault 11mm 8,000#
Sterling HTP. 10mm. 5,900#
“. 11mm. 6,800#
Looks like the Samson Ultra Tech @10,0000# strength would be the way to go, if it works with the Ropeman 1.
If not, then the BlueWater Assault @ 8,000#.
Am I missing something here?

Yale Bandit 11 mm. 5,600#
Samson Predator 11.4 mm 6,000#
Sterling Superstatic 11mm. 6,500#
Samson Ultra Tech 9mm 10,000#
BlueWater Assault 11mm 8,000#
Sterling HTP. 10mm. 5,900#
“. 11mm. 6,800#
Looks like the Samson Ultra Tech @10,0000# strength would be the way to go, if it works with the Ropeman 1.
If not, then the BlueWater Assault @ 8,000#.
Am I missing something here?

All of the rope is more than strong enough for our purpose so people's choices often come down to other characteristics like flexibility, abrasion resistance, and even color.

Recommendations?
I have no way of handling any of these before purchase.

The only rope in that list I have experience with is the Sampson predator. It is what comes with the Kestrel and I believe the kite also. I have never heard any complaints about it and I liked it when I was using a Kestrel.

Recommendations?
I have no way of handling any of these before purchase.

Another option is to buy the tether and linesmans belt from Tethrd. I bought two tethers and use one as a linesmans belt and one as a tether. I really like the spliced loops and am happy with the rope itself.

2X on buying the rope from Tethrd. The splices are great and the rope is great.

I looked at those, they are 1/2” thick. Not sure if that is a weight concern or not. I have tried to contact them to no avail as of yet. I am actually looking at there total system, just have a few questions first.

I don't think you will notice any appreciable weight difference in the short amount of rope that we use. The carabiners Tethrd uses are some of the lightest though.

The splices reduce the weight compared to knots. I used 9 mm ultra tech before with knots. That is a light rope but I still prefer the Tethrd ropes.

Back