• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Knots

TruShot77

Newb here. Been hunting with a bow for many years but new to saddle hunting... was curious of most commonly used rope knots. I'd like to get some practice in with the knots I'll use most. TY again for sharing your experience.

Check out JRB tree climbing on YouTube. He has videos on the some common and not so common knots. Hopefully you won’t be tying many, if any, once they are tied and squared away.

Welcome to the addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scaffold knot is probably the most popular for rappel folks using quick links.

For general use I’d recommend understanding a friction hitch, a prusik is the most common. This is used on lineman’s ropes, tethers, bridges. Alternatively I use a Schwabisch hitch with tender on my lineman’s belt because it’s easier to adjust. There are a bunch of options in this class.

For rappelling it seems you should know a few. Ones I’ve learned that I think would be good are an autoblock and Munter hitch. This is a pretty simple backup rappel system. I also use an Alpine butterfly on my rappel rope as a stopper knot when hunting off my rappel rope and Madrock safeguard.

I’ve also found the 3Rivers trifold knot guide to be really helpful. A bowline, clove hitch, adjustable line hitch are all really useful. It’s a good little booklet.

Check out JRB tree climbing on YouTube. He has videos on the some common and not so common knots. Hopefully you won’t be tying many, if any, once they are tied and squared away.

Thank you friend.. for the link and the welcome

Thank you friend.. for the link and the welcome
Scaffold knot is probably the most popular for rappel folks using quick links.

For general use I’d recommend understanding a friction hitch, a prusik is the most common. This is used on lineman’s ropes, tethers, bridges. Alternatively I use a Schwabisch hitch with tender on my lineman’s belt because it’s easier to adjust. There are a bunch of options in this class.

For rappelling it seems you should know a few. Ones I’ve learned that I think would be good are an autoblock and Munter hitch. This is a pretty simple backup rappel system. I also use an Alpine butterfly on my rappel rope as a stopper knot when hunting off my rappel rope and Madrock safeguard.

I’ve also found the 3Rivers trifold knot guide to be really helpful. A bowline, clove hitch, adjustable line hitch are all really useful. It’s a good little booklet.

Very good info. Thank you, I'll check this out

Here’s a very good app that will help you out a lot. It’s called Knots 3D! It’s a knot tying app with information on more than 175 knots.

There’s another good app called “What Knot To Do” that you might want to have a look at…

Here is a thread for hitches. Grab a 2 liter coke and pack of cookies before you start on this one lol.

Newb here. Been hunting with a bow for many years but new to saddle hunting... was curious of most commonly used rope knots. I'd like to get some practice in with the knots I'll use most. TY again for sharing your experience.
One knot I highly recommend is a hunters bend. It’s used to tie two ends together and commonly close a loop. Very simple and easy to remember.
JRB videos get a big thumbs up and nobody knows more about knots and hitches than brocky.

Back