• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope mod: Amsteel diameter?

Shortdraw

Hi All. Thinking of losing the straps on my Hawk Helium minis (ok, the replacement straps...the originals were the subject of a different thread!) and replacing them with Amsteel. Was going to just use the method of tying to/around my versa button and hitching it. What is the generally accepted Amsteel diameter for this method? Thanks!

Lots of folks have used 1/4” over the years, myself included, and that works really well. Some folks are not doing full buries in 1/8 but that’s a bit more work without a ton of gain IMO. I know others have gone smaller, too, but I for one like the larger diameter for handling and getting around the tree etc. I also find it easier to make the splice on the larger sizes.

1/4” it’s a lot easier to throw around those bigger trees.

Hey before you order, try using your straps with no buckles. You may like that even more than amsteel

Hey before you order, try using your straps with no buckles. You may like that even more than amsteel

Hmmm, do you mean just wrapping the strap around the versa button as if it were the amsteel rope? If so, that sounds like a great use for the Helium straps since the buckles were worthless!

Hmmm, do you mean just wrapping the strap around the versa button as if it were the amsteel rope? If so, that sounds like a great use for the Helium straps since the buckles were worthless!
Works like a charm! Only downside is you won’t get them around big trees, but small trees are a lot easier to climb anyway.

Works like a charm! Only downside is you won’t get them around big trees, but small trees are a lot easier to climb anyway.

Tried it out with my daisy chain webbing and the Amsteel daisy chain, both from Eastern Woods ]Outdoors. Both worked great with the buckle-less approach. Thanks for the tip. May hold off on the Amsteel order for a while! And notably lighter and cleaner than having those buckles wrapped around the sticks!

Back