• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope on steps in conjunction with sticks

Hunter260

I really like the simplicity of climbing with regular climbing sticks, but sometimes there’s a limb or knot or a bend or fork in the tree that makes it impossible to get my stick in just the right place. I’ve been thinking about carrying 1 or 2 of those lightweight rope on steps to get around those obstacles. Does anyone else do this? Any cheap diy versions I could make??

I like that idea and i got the amsteel to do it. What kind of steps should i look for?
I used the old Ameristeps but if they're hard to find, there's some Treehopper steps made now that are similar to the Ameristeps but heavier duty I guess.

I used the old Ameristeps but if they're hard to find, there's some Treehopper steps made now that are similar to the Ameristeps but heavier duty I guess.
The "button runner" style definitely doesn't get tight to the tree but they're quiet and light with no buckle. Just have to make sure you step with knee and foot close to the tree so they don't roll out. It's all explained on that thread!

I carry 2 cranford rope on steps for my emergency descent if needed, but they serve that purpose as well......

Back