• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope size & brand for rappelling

Sipsey

I’ve searched a good many threads on rappelling and I can’t find a good consensus on a good rope for rappelling down after a hunt. Could someone direct me to a good thread or simply share what has been working. Also what descenders have a good reputation. Thanks in advance.

I’ve searched a good many threads on rappelling and I can’t find a good consensus on a good rope for rappelling down after a hunt. Could someone direct me to a good thread or simply share what has been working. Also what descenders have a good reputation. Thanks in advance.
I’m using sterling http 9 mm these days. Carry 40 feet. I like a petzl rig best for an ascender and descender. It isn’t rated for 9 mm but works fine with it.
If you are just rappelling there are less expensive and smaller options than the Rig but it is very safe and fits my needs best. The Rig can lock down so no rope can feed through it. You can use it to ascend too. I stop as I rappel down and take my equipment off the tree and it’s nice to be tied in all the way down.

I’m using sterling http 9 mm these days. Carry 40 feet. I like a petzl rig best for an ascender and descender. It isn’t rated for 9 mm but works fine with it.
If you are just rappelling there are less expensive and smaller options than the Rig but it is very safe and fits my needs best. The Rig can lock down so no rope can feed through it. You can use it to ascend too. I stop as I rappel down and take my equipment off the tree and it’s nice to be tied in all the way down.

Assuming that's a single rope rappel? Are you pulling down the rappel rope when done, and if so, how?

Been thinking about a 1-stick climbing method, maybe a double rope ascent in the future, but would also like to be able to just rappel down. Haven't done it since high school though.

Assuming that's a single rope rappel? Are you pulling down the rappel rope when done, and if so, how?

Been thinking about a 1-stick climbing method, maybe a double rope ascent in the future, but would also like to be able to just rappel down. Haven't done it since high school though.
I use a canopy anchor. It’s kinda hard to explain but easy to do. You can rappel off one end of the rope but if you pull the other end, your rope pulls out of the tree. You can tie a length of paracord on the pull end if you don’t have a long enough rope for both ends to reach the ground.

Tried to copy a link that has a demo of how these guys get their rope down.

I post a pic of the thread name just in case and u can read thru it for more info also.

-RADS or Yo-Yo(a type of Single Rope Technique SRT), is what I use when I'm climbing a rope, which means I have a piece of 550 cord setup in the tree already, I quietly pull up my climbing rope then climb it and it typically takes me 10 minutes to get to about 25'.

How to setup the rope:

f7414d343358a253bbc6642ddbf1fcd5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sterling htp 11mm is outstanding rope, I use it for all my srt climbing. As for desecenders I use a petzl rig if I'm climbing using the yoyo method.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks! I’ve seen the Sterling htp mentioned often as a good choice, along with the grigri2. Is there an issue with using 9mm vs 11mm with this combo?

Thanks! I’ve seen the Sterling htp mentioned often as a good choice, along with the grigri2. Is there an issue with using 9mm vs 11mm with this combo?
As long as the equipment your using is compatible with the rope diameter you should be fine. The grigri2 works best with rope around 10mm in diameter, But is rated to work with 8.9-11 mm ropes. Htp is excellent rope for hunting, Its not the best for knots but it works good enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Finally found the link to rappell ropes on here. That tied the issue into a tidy bow. Sterling htp & a grigri2 it is and this 60 something year ole guy will now be practicing rappelling in the backyard to the wife’s chagrin.

Back