• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 1 on oplux?

Loopwing

SH Member
My question is, can you, or who does, use a Ropeman 1 on Sterling Oplux? I was just messing with my gear in the den and threw a ropeman 1 on the oplux I just bought from Dano. It looks to my untrained eye that there is still substantial grab on the teeth of the catching mechanism. I know a lot of people are using the Kong on oplux, but I already have 2 ropeman 1s. I would not be using for rapelling. I would just be using it to adjust to the tether when at hunting height. On the rappel down I will be using an ATC and block. My tether will be long enough to rapelling out of the stand. I am new to all this. Thanks for all your advice and help.

I believe it's not recommended because the rope is not in spec for what the RM1 calls for. How ever I do use one on my opulux. I assume the risk. But to counter the lack of size of the opulux, I use a thicker aluminum carabiner. Don't know the exact one, but I got it at REI. It bites right in the middle of the cam and feel very confident in my setup. Used it for 2nd half of the season last year and put 30 plus sits on it. Also it's not on my tether, it's on my linesman only.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I know it is out of specs, but I also know how specs go. If something is rated for 8lbs it can actually hold 10lbs. I was thinking of trying a larger carabiners also. I have a BD rocklock on the way. Any time we leave the ground we take a risk.

Its out of spec, and it will work until it doesn't. Don't think anyone will recommend you use it, but I know people do. Hell people rappel with paracord and think its all good. Ultimately its your choice. Not sure if I answered your question, but I'm not exactly sure what the question is.

I've tried it, but I do not currently use it.

You did answer the question. I am not sure what my question is either, lol. I guess the more I think about it the more I realize specs do matter. The line, it works until it doesn't goes a long way. The failure is always at the weakest link and why start with a known weak link. Thanks.

Back