• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 1 question?

swampsnyper

I've watched a few videos on it but one thing that concerns me that I didn't see addressed is can you pull the release cord to open while it's under pressure. I'd hate to be swinging around a tree and it snags on something, releasing it.

swampsnyper said:
I've watched a few videos on it but one thing that concerns me that I didn't see addressed is can you pull the release cord to open while it's under pressure. I'd hate to be swinging around a tree and it snags on something, releasing it.

You might be able to but it would take a great amount of force to do it and the ease of use I think outweighs the chance of that happening. I also think that since you have to pull it up away to release it helps minimize something like that happening. I haven't heard anyone complain here or on the climbing sites of something like that happening.

Roger

I'm using a petzl shunt. Bigger for sure, but operates on the same principle. I have a short web strap between the shunt and carabiner. Quiet. The larger size makes it easy to handle in the cold.
It's always under pressure when I'm using it. I don't think any slip could happen with mine or yours while under pressure. Also. The end of my rope passes through the biner as well, just in case.
I clear anything that could impede my movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats true. I guess if it did open unintentionally either your stopper knot or carabiner, depending on how you hook it up, will stop you from falling to the ground. I was just wondering how hard you could pull on the release tab while you have your lineman belt or tree strap under tension without it releasing. Anyone try tugging on it while at ground level and pulling tension on your rope.

I don't really think that could happen. But you could probably slip the end of it through the carabiner so it couldn't be pulled up, and then put a stopper knot in the rope so you could only fall that far if for whatever reason it did happen.

redsquirrel said:
I don't really think that could happen. But you could probably slip the end of it through the carabiner so it couldn't be pulled up, and then put a stopper knot in the rope so you could only fall that far if for whatever reason it did happen.

Red that is the same thing I was going to say in the instructions it shows passing the end of the cable thru the carabiner I'm assuming to do just that. The bad part about that is you have to unlock and open the carabiner whenever you want to adjust it. I was going to say throw a figure 8 in the rope if it concerns you but so far I haven't read anything about that.

Roger

I got it in and didn't see any need for the little cable so I cut it off. I can still operate the cleat with my thumb if I need slack. Works really well. So I ordered a second one for my tree strap. Now I have one on the linemans belt and soon one on the tree strap.

Back