• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 1 -- Worth it?

I'm thinking of getting a Ropeman for my H2 just to increase safety/not have to hassle with the prusik. What's your experience with them? Are they worth having/buying? Any info would help!

Personally, I chose to save my money and am using a second, smaller biner as a tender for my prusik. Total Cost was 3 bucks for some 6mm accessory cord for the prusik and using a biner I already had. There are many different ways you can fashion a tender for the prusik to give you one handed function. Again, this is just what I chose to do. Ropeman and similar devices work well, there are advantages/disadvantages to both. Be sure to educate yourself to the safety hazards of both as well if you are not already aware.

Good luck!

I'm thinking of getting a Ropeman for my H2 just to increase safety/not have to hassle with the prusik. What's your experience with them? Are they worth having/buying? Any info would help!

There is a valid argument that in certain circumstances a ropeman is less safe then a properly sized prusik. People fall on both sides of this fence but, I don't think anyone considers a ropeman more safe. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ropeman-safety.3530/post-266679

As far as ease of adjustment, there isn't much difference between a ropeman and a prusik with a tender. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ropeman-safety.3530/post-266679

I used a ropeman on my tether and linesmans belt for a couple of years but, eventually traded them for a longbow and now use 8mm rope with prusik knots.

My 2 cents is, ropeman 1 is absolutely worth it. I know a lot of guys use it on their tether and that’s fine. Personally I look at it like a gun safety- it is a mechanical device that can fail. Therefore I choose not to use it on my tether. I only use it for my lineman’s belt. The quick 1 handed adjustability is amazing for that.

When I did use it on my tether, I found that the jaws often locked up easily under weight and I would have to jerk the rope back out to get it to let go. Maybe that’s because my rope isn’t wide enough I dunno. Now I just use a prusik for the tether again. I find that I don’t need to adjust the tether hardly ever again once it’s set where I need it and I feel the prusik is a more safe option, for me anyway. I don’t feel like it’s a big deal to just back twist the prusik a it to get it to let off the tension after being under weight.

I will add that I would buy the ropeman 1, not ropeman 2. I understand the 2 can chew up ropes fairly quick, or at least certain kinds of ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a valid argument that in certain circumstances a ropeman is less safe then a properly sized prusik. People fall on both sides of this fence but, I don't think anyone considers a ropeman more safe. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ropeman-safety.3530/post-266679

As far as ease of adjustment, there isn't much difference between a ropeman and a prusik with a tender. https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ropeman-safety.3530/post-266679

I used a ropeman on my tether and linesmans belt for a couple of years but, eventually traded them for a longbow and now use 8mm rope with prusik knots.
Thanks for the help. I'm new into saddle hunting, so I've been hearing a lot of different opinions on all this, but your response definitely helps me, especially when thinking about the tether.

My 2 cents is, ropeman 1 is absolutely worth it. I know a lot of guys use it on their tether and that’s fine. Personally I look at it like a gun safety- it is a mechanical device that can fail. Therefore I choose not to use it on my tether. I only use it for my lineman’s belt. The quick 1 handed adjustability is amazing for that.

When I did use it on my tether, I found that the jaws often locked up easily under weight and I would have to jerk the rope back out to get it to let go. Maybe that’s because my rope isn’t wide enough I dunno. Now I just use a prusik for the tether again. I find that I don’t need to adjust the tether hardly ever again once it’s set where I need it and I feel the prusik is a more safe option, for me anyway. I don’t feel like it’s a big deal to just back twist the prusik a it to get it to let off the tension after being under weight.

I will add that I would buy the ropeman 1, not ropeman 2. I understand the 2 can chew up ropes fairly quick, or at least certain kinds of ropes.

I appreciate it. I had never considered using it only for the lineman's belt. Thanks!

My $.02: I personally used them on both my tether and my lineman's rope (backed up by a stopper knot on my lineman's and the tag end tied back into the carabiner on my tether), however I have since switched to the Kong Ducks because of my switch to the 8mm diameter of Sterling Oplux... I have the two orange Ropeman 1s in the classifieds.

Highly recommended for the lineman's rope, if your rope is in spec. The tether is a personal choice for me because I didn't like the additional length that the prussic loop contributed to my tether height/length/sit depth for comfort reasons. I seem to prefer a low tether height with a longer bridge for a slightly deep sit depth.

You use the safeguard on your tether?... For rappelling, or just for a safer mechanical alternative to a ropeman, and in lieu of using a Prusik?
Yeah for repelling!! Never really thought it to be a safer alternative to a ropemen. I have never ran a ropemen on my tether. Like above comment I loved a prusik with a tender. I one stick with my predator and a two step aider and 35’ of repel rope. Usually just run my repel line Thur my right side linemen’s loop to keep it tight to me not flopping around. Hook it up and climb then easy decent when ready. Have made the switch in a tree from my 8’ tether to my repel rope and just didn’t care for it. So yeah I always climb with my repel rope and safeguard now.

Just curious, do you know of one you would recommend?

Just my 2 cents. I am new to saddle hunting but own a tree business and have been doing tree work my whole life, admittedly I prefer a bucket truck and 95% of my work is from one, but I have my share of hours swinging around in trees, I gave up climbing knots a few years ago for mechanical ascenders, fighting a sap covered rope with an over tight knot was a PITA 80’ in a tree with a saw dangling from my belt. Granted I am not a proficient climber like somebody that does it everyday but in my opinion theres a certain amount of risk anytime you leave the ground and personally I always felt better with a mechanical ascender. I will be using a ropeman 1 for my linemans belt and tree tether both. Do any of you guys ever have problems with your knots when it’s really cold, I would think if a rope was damp and the temps dropped that mite be a problem, I never have climbed in conditions like that.

Just curious, do you know of one you would recommend?
These are made by a member and sold by the great Dano.

Back