• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 1

adawg

new to site but long time saddle hunter. Does anyone have a video of the ropeman 1 being used in a hunting situation. I'm looking to see how much it is truly is one handed operation when lengthening the drape/slack n the mainline. Thanks

When lengthening, you need to unweight the rope. There is a metal tab with a leader line on it....you just pull that and lean out the amount you want the rope lengthened and let go of the ropeman to lock it down. It will move another 1/2-1" as it locks.

It is a great device. I also have one on my linesmans belt.

The only way it could be any better is if you could rappel with it but then it would be bigger/louder/heavier and more
Expensive

So in your opinion it's a worthwhile upgrade. I don't mind the Prussik but sometimes that knot it a pain to loosen.

Does it wear the rope? Seems like it would, metal teeth grabbing onto the rope and all. If you hunt similar sized trees all the time, the Ropeman will be grabbing the same area of the rope every time you use it.

Does it wear the rope? Seems like it would, metal teeth grabbing onto the rope and all. If you hunt similar sized trees all the time, the Ropeman will be grabbing the same area of the rope every time you use it.

I use bluewater assault line and after 2 seasons I dont see any wear. Im a leaner but still place my weight on it often. Personally I think the loop you run the tether thru itself is harder on the rope than the Ropeman 1. Are you going to kzoo for the trad expo? I can bring one to show ya if you haven't seen one in person.

Doesn't wear mine, I think you'd want to replace the rope because of normal wear and tear from the tree way before the ropeman.

So in your opinion it's a worthwhile upgrade. I don't mind the Prussik but sometimes that knot it a pain to loosen.
Like others have said, these are awesome, especially on the lineman's belt. But just grab 2, one for the LB and one for the tether. Then buy 2 more for backups :)

just test drove mine for the first time today... I think the best comparison is sliced bread...

They are amazing. For the tether, I could definitely live without it. Once it's set, I almost never change my tether length during a hunt. But on the LB...it's the only way to go.

What G2 says about the tether is true. But I often use my tether to climb and then I am glad I have the Ropeman there too.

if you are doing any kind of "tether climbing" (one stick, aider, hand climber) they are invaluable on the tether.

This fella has some kind of rope grab/ascender. I don't think its a ropeman though.

When tether climbing like this you can basically keep your tether tight and much safer and faster when using these climbing methods. Especially with a ropeman...all I do is keep the tag end of my tether in a hand and pull up on it while I'm moving up the tree

Back