• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman in place of Blake’s

Emurray2197

So during practice I came up with this “genius “ idea to use a Ropeman 2 in place of a self tending Blake’s hitch for my ascent .. not enjoying tying knots in the dark in the cold on a brisk morning hunt in thinking I might be onto something.. I single sticked all last year and have all the kit to drt… question is would this be considered to much wear on a rope? …
Setup:
Once at hunting height I switch out to short teather and pull up my climbing rope
Descend with Gri Gri +

I thought the real issue is falling on a Ropeman. The possible breaking of the rope is what keeps people from using it as a ascender with the slack necessary for one sticking.

I see the concern of falling onto it if slack was introduced.. from what I am experimenting with I always have weight into the system much like being tethered at hunting height…until that 2 second interval during body thrust I believe it’s constantly under weight

So during practice I came up with this “genius “ idea to use a Ropeman 2 in place of a self tending Blake’s hitch for my ascent .. not enjoying tying knots in the dark in the cold on a brisk morning hunt in thinking I might be onto something.. I single sticked all last year and have all the kit to drt… question is would this be considered to much wear on a rope? …
Setup:
Once at hunting height I switch out to short teather and pull up my climbing rope
Descend with Gri Gri +
Ropeman 2 are for smaller ropes but the teeth are too aggressive. You're better off using a RM1. Though a pretied hitch that you keep on the rope like the JRB ascender will outshine them both!

Back