• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Are you Ropeman users relying exclusively on the device to support you? Wrap tether around tree and then clip carabiner around bridge and hunt?

!!!!!!!! Holy cow, what have I gotten myself into?

I feel better when I look at my tether and see the prussic cord wrapped around it. Makes me feel better. Lol. Will be trying the Ropeman tomorrow for the first time. Don't be afraid to pray for me.

I also take the tail end of my tether and tie a figure 8 loop and put it in the carabiner. It keeps the tail out of the way and backs up the ropeman. If my bridge or biner falls, I'm screwed, but it still makes me feel a little better

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Should the little steel cable hanging from the Ropeman be loaded inside the carabiner also?

I do. It will be ok huck. Just practice on the ground and make sure you have a complete understanding of it. I.e. Don't put it on backwards...!

I also take the tail end of my tether and tie a figure 8 loop and put it in the carabiner. It keeps the tail it if the easy and backs up the ropeman. If my bridge or biner falls, I'm screwed, but it still makes me feel a little better

Thank you Ernie!!! That's what I was looking for. I guess it is still easy to operate like that?

I do. It will be ok huck. Just practice on the ground and make sure you have a complete understanding of it. I.e. Don't put it on backwards...!
That would be bad. It also wouldn't hurt to put a stopper knot on the end of the tail

Don't put the little cable inside the carabiner. That's how you release the pressure to move down your tether.

I feel better when I look at my tether and see the prussic cord wrapped around it. Makes me feel better. Lol. Will be trying the Ropeman tomorrow for the first time. Don't be afraid to pray for me.

Try it out on the ground and get a feel for it. you'll QUICKLY forget about using that prussic knot! haha

I tell ya what, I'll report back here tomorrow night ( hopefully) to confirm my survival. Thanks for the input boys!

I tell ya what, I'll report back here tomorrow night ( hopefully) to confirm my survival. Thanks for the input boys!

You will feel safer in the John E sling without the tether going around the tree?
The Ropeman is tough. I've put it thru the two foot drop test with my big butt.

I always pull my rope both directions before loading the Ropeman, just to make sure it isn't upside down (even though I know it can't reverse itself since the last time I tested it)..Don't bury the cable in the biner. Definitely tie a rope stop in. The downside of the Ropeman is that if you immediately release a loaded rope, gravity seems to kick in twice as fast as normal. It's best to lean up to take the pressure off and then pull the release and gently re-load it to pull out slack.
As far as backups, they don't hurt the safety aspect. But don't be so nervous that you tie yourself up and can't enjoy the hunt or can't move to shoot the big boy when he walks in.

Yeah just practice on the ground first so you get the feel of it. I know what you mean about feeling safe with the prusik i felt the same but now im not looking back.

I've had a couple since last year and used it exclusively on my lb last year. Using on tether now as well. I back it up with a prusik rather than the other loop on my tether so it'll catch sooner and not drop me a few feet.

I still have the prussic, but I can't stand it... mine almost always requires both hands to adjust, and that just bothers me. I don't like the ergonomics and balance change of adjusting it. Hopefully this is my last year with prussics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main trees are pre-set with a rope with a prussic that I tie into from the ground to the top. when I get to the top, I throw my tether around the tree with my ropeman. I lower the prussic down the line, but I am still tied in as a backup to that second line. I trust the ropeman, but I look at it the way I look at a rifle safety: it is a mechanical device that could potentially fail. I like having a backup.

Back