• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropes recommendations for srt and Drt

Outdoorsman33

Looking for recommendations on ropes for DRT and equipment too and why you recommend them. Also would be interested doing art too could I use the same ropes and gear for both?

Looking for recommendations on ropes for DRT and equipment too and why you recommend them. Also would be interested doing art too could I use the same ropes and gear for both?
You can use the same ropes for DRT and art - but really there are cheaper ropes for art as there's no need for safety ratings with artwork :sunglasses:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I don't have personal experience yet with DRT so can't give recommendations. If you're asking about SRT, I've used Oplux and it works fine in my opinion. If you wanted a stiffer rope you could go with 9 or 10mm HTP.

I picked up some of DanOs new IV 9mm rope for SRT since it’s technically in spec of the safeguard. I would assume it would work for DRT too. DRT doesn’t look like my cup of tea so I haven’t researched it as much.

You can use the same ropes for DRT and art - but really there are cheaper ropes for art as there's no need for safety ratings with artwork :sunglasses:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I don't have personal experience yet with DRT so can't give recommendations. If you're asking about SRT, I've used Oplux and it works fine in my opinion. If you wanted a stiffer rope you could go with 9 or 10mm HTP.
What would the reason for wanting the stiffer rope for srt ?

I picked up some of DanOs new IV 9mm rope for SRT since it’s technically in spec of the safeguard. I would assume it would work for DRT too. DRT doesn’t look like my cup of tea so I haven’t researched it as much.
Why do you choose SRT over DRT? What do you find to be the pros of the SRT in your opinion?

Why do you choose SRT over DRT? What do you find to be the pros of the SRT in your opinion?

For one less rope to carry but I do have to pack hand ascender/foot loop and mad rock safeguard. 38’ of C-IV rope, hand ascender, foot loop, madrock safeguard, throw line/weight, and carabiners all fit in one Tethrd sys hauler.

Here is a video of a newbie trying both with NY Saddle guys. Watching that really made me think SRT was more fluid and simpler. Might be different for others though.

The rope I got (Edelweiss Speleo 11mm) doesn't knot too well so i use a separate bridge rope for the friction hitch for DRT and that works fine. That rope works well for SRT because it is more ridged and round (it doesn't crush) so the ascenders release easy and slide over it but still hold well. You can SRT with just two Ropemans and a couple of biners but you can't just slide down with those, that's where a Gri Gri or safeguard shines. SRT is easy and faster but you need more equipment, DRT is stupid simple and easy too but you need to perfect your technique, I like the option of having both.

Last edited:
Back